Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Why have Ray Bradbury's Characters created vivid memories?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why have Ray Bradbury's Characters created vivid memories?
 Login/Join

posted
For myself I feel that his ability to decribe the smallest details in the most accessable language, that for me is combined with a smell for color or feel of an object or person. The metaphors are wonderful
because he writes like a poet. With such an urgency and observation that makes for me the feeling of being present as the story progresses. He is mischieveous with his humor and the twist is what keeps it interesting. I have always remembered Mr Dark, and Mound Shroud, Montague and the mechanical hound. The Veldt is still as hot, and dusty memory for me. Mr Electro said it best when he set Mr Bradbury loose
"Live Forever" and he will as long as his books are in print and those that have read his work remember the stories.

Posts: 8 | Location: ogden,utah,usa | Registered: 30 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my command of grammer leaves a lot to be desired so i apologise up front. 'R IS FOR ROCKET' has been the leader of my choices to read again and again,along with 'DANDELION WINE' and'I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC'. i discovered 'R IS FOR ROCKET' when i was 12 and was brought into ideas and concepts teachers could never have hoped to instill in my mind. it is a favorite memory just to look at the cover [i still have the book with its dustjacket intact,but well read. many thanks to Mr. Bradbury for being himself.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loss for words:
it is a favorite memory just to look at the cover

I have a similar relationship with the cover of Dandelion Wine. I found this book about a thousand years ago on the shelves of my high school library. Since then I've tracked down the same edition, so that I can look upon the same cover and feel a stirring of those old visions.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scanner:
I have always remembered Mr Dark, and Mound Shroud, Montague and the mechanical hound.

If they ever get around to producing the movie version of F451 (which is the persistent rumor), the mechanical hounds are gonna be great . . .

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They actually made a film version, in the 60's. I havn't seen it, but I've heard bad things. The new film is currently being taken on by the guy who made Shawshank Redemption. I also heard Clarrisse McGellen's name is being changed to Linda. Dont ask me why.

Posts: 14 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky enough to be in an "American Literature" class at my school, a course devoted to sci-fi. We watched the 60's version of F-451 just this week. It does not follow in all aspects of the book- Clarisse is a bit older (a lonely begining teacher, not an exiled student), but more disapointing is the lack of the Mechanical Hound. This, obviously, changes the end chase scene. Montag is persued by firemen in jet packs, easily the worst special effect in the film. There is no mention of the war, and the book people lived in seemingly content communes, rather than vagabond camps. A lot of kids in my class didn't especially care for it, but then again they didn't enjoy the Martian Chronicles, either. It's still worth watching, though, if you can find it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Cape Coral, Fl | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey hey hey !!!!!!!! u guys might have found this already,but i searched on my puter for Ray's name and PRESTOOOOO i got stuff on Fahrenheit 451 theyr working on it as a new movie in 2002 expected to come out in 2003 heres some stuff i copyed from it:::

Cast: None announced yet. At one point, when Mel Gibson was considering directing this as his follow up to Braveheart, Warner Bros. wanted him to star as well, but Gibson felt that he wasn't young enough to play the lead of Guy Montag. Other actors considered in this project's long development were Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. The British site, Ananova, reported in March that Joseph Fiennes and Charlize Theron might be in talksto star, but the site gave no sources, so, take that with a grain of salt. The next two bits of news should be the star(s), and a production start date (this is confirmed as Darabont's next after The Majestic, so sometime in in 2001/2002 seems very possible/likely). There are three central roles: Guy Montag, the young hero who questions his "fireman" status; Linda, the young woman he falls in love with, and the Fire Captain, a hoary older fireman who is Guy's primary adversary (and if you've read the book or seen the original movie, you know what becomes of him). Back in the Gibson years, Sean Connery was reportedly in talks to play the Fire Captain.

(your right whoever said (i forget)that they were changing Clarrise's name to Linda...big fat jerks who want to change the book...*grumblegrumble* oh well....)

* *Rain Walker * * *<br /> * * * * * * *

Posts: 22 | Location: Grand Haven USA | Registered: 15 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could the "Silence of the Lambs" connotation of Clarisse be the reason they changed the name to Linda? Anyway, the book is always better!

Posts: 5 | Location: Greenwood, IN USA | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, in the movie version "Linda is the girl Montag falls in love with??????" I dont get it...I totally missed a "torrid love story" between those two in the book. What do you mean?

Posts: 5 | Location: Greenwood, IN USA | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tves t I wouldnt know,I just copied that from the site........I agree I read the book (Heck I own the thing) and it says nothing whatsoever about Montag in Love.....for petes sake he was married!!!!!!!!!!

* *Rain Walker * * *<br /> * * * * * * *

Posts: 22 | Location: Grand Haven USA | Registered: 15 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have just finished listening to some stories on tape read by Ray Bradbury!
To listen to him "being" his own characters as he read the stories, and vocalize the descriptions of his own imaginations was a clarifing experience. He has such an enthusiasm for life that I can feel the era of his environments and characters. To convey with such emotion, and vitality is a trait that breaths life into all of his work.

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, how confusing. In the original movie, they changed Millie's name to Linda. Now, it is Clarisse who gets her name changed to Linda? What is this, musical Lindas? Two things: 1. I will award a virtual PRIZE to anyone who can find any character named Linda anywhere in Bradbury's work. 2. Even if they do, I still HATE the name Linda! So there.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Oh, how confusing. In the original movie, they changed Millie's name to Linda. Now, it is Clarisse who gets her name changed to Linda? What is this, musical Lindas? Two things: 1. I will award a virtual PRIZE to anyone who can find any character named Linda anywhere in Bradbury's work. 2. Even if they do, I still HATE the name Linda! So there.

I don't have anything against the name Linda, but it is confusing since Mildred was transformed into a "Linda" in the original 451. Why can't the screenplay be as true to the novel as the Harry Potter movie was. I'm sure that it wasn't even under consideration to change the names of Harry or Hermione. Clarisse is the catalyst of the novel so her name is sacred. The devotees of 451 will FLOCK to the remake if it is true to the novel, and those just discovering 451 will be intoxicated with the language, the characters, the story, and the vision. I hope Hollywood pays attention to the true followers of Ray Bradbury.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post