Does anyone know? Could Ray tell me
if he wrote this story, I remember
the sun being the enemy and the caves
that the inhabitants took shelter in,
and they would try to reach these
egg shaped pods that offer shelter
and survival.
Maybe its just a dream I had, but i could
swear he wrote this story, I thought it might have been called Fire and Ice, because in the morning it was freezing, then it would warm up and the cave fighters would battle each other to reach the pods, but then if the sun rose thier time began to clock down as they tried to reach the Nirvana of the self sustained life pods.
Wish I could ask Ray, I'm sure he'd know right away if he wrote a story resembling this,oh well such is fame and popularity; no time, no time to answer 6,666 emails.
Sincerely, Robert Kirsch
(not the NYTimes critic!)
06 June 2007, 07:04 PM
fjp451
"Frost and Fire" was originally published by Planet Stories, 1946. I have a neat, signed, graphic novel version, adapted by Klaus Janson (1985) DC Comics.

It is also collected in The Stories of Ray Bradbury (Knopf).
07 June 2007, 12:46 AM
oz-crumley
GREAT story (set on Mercury - ??) about a race of people who grow and age at an extraordinary rate (from memory, their whole lifespan is 6 or 7 days). I have great memories of reading this one time when I was home from school, sick with a throat infection, utterly transported to another world. A great long 'short' story.
08 June 2007, 01:00 AM
dandelion
There is talk of a major motion picture in the works.
10 June 2007, 12:54 AM
oz-crumley
It certainly is movie material, but given the snail pace at which F.451 has developed, I'm not holding my breath!
10 June 2007, 10:28 AM
Nico
Story is "Of Fire and Ice" I believe. I think I read something about it being made into a play performance.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com
11 June 2007, 01:43 PM
philnic
It's "Frost and Fire". The story was first published in Planet Stories in 1946 under the title "Creatures That Time Forgot". It was subsequently collected in Bradbury's books R is for Rocket and The Stories of Ray Bradbury. In 1983 Saul and Elaine Bass made a short film based on the story. It was called Quest, and was scripted by Bradbury himself.

I don't know anything about the proposed play or film, but would like to know more if anyone can supply details.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
12 June 2007, 01:24 PM
Robert Kirsch
Thank you all for the answer.
Wow I forgot all about where I read
it, but now I know. Of Frost and Fire,
yes, and now I recall 'R is for Rocket'.
Perhaps a sequel would extend their life
spans enough to cover a movie length film.
22 May 2008, 01:57 AM
fltnsplr
I can't believe I stumbled across this site tonight. I have been trying to find this story for several years, and unfortunately did not realize that it was called "Frost and Fire," as I, too, was looking for "Fire and Ice" instead.

Also, I was surprised to find out that it is a Ray Bradbury story, especially since I have always been a fan of his. But no matter; I'm glad to have finally been brought to the right place.
23 May 2008, 02:30 AM
philnic
Welcome, fltnsplr.

And congratulations on having one of the least pronounceable names on this board!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
23 May 2008, 06:48 AM
Doug Spaulding
Flittenspire is a good word.

"Live Forever!"
23 May 2008, 07:24 PM
Braling II
Flittenspire?
How about Plattenspieler?
23 May 2008, 10:27 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Flittenspire?
How about Plattenspieler?

Oh, is that seventh letter an "l'? I thought it was an "i".

Age, you know.

"Live Forever!"