Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Short Story Title

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Story Title
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, newbie here in need of some help.

There was a short story in an english book that we had to read once, im almost poooooooositive it was bradbury, but cant remember the title, and would appreciate any help:

it had to do with some stalker/murderer guy loose in this town and all his victims were women. two women went to the movies, and one ended up having to walk home at night by herself, scaring herself crazy the whole way, until she finally ends up safe at home...but not entirely. any clues?

thanks in advance

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Whole Town's Sleeping" appears, untitled, as a section of "Dandelion Wine." Since Ray's work has appeared in well over 800 textbooks, I couldn't even hazard a guess.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one of the scariest stories I've ever read, and a textbook example of how a writer can slowly build suspense. I first encountered the story while reading DANDELION WINE. The chapter containing that story literally made my heart pound and the hair stand up on the back of my neck. The story should be required reading for all current writers who think the only way to "scare" people is through graphic and explicit violence.

Posts: 2440 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, suggestion is a far more effective tool in trying to convey the desired atmosphere. Other masters in this domain include M.R. James and, more recently, Ramsey Campbell. His short stories pack a wallop.

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom cites it from time to time as a "masterpiece of scariness."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gothic, you are very right about M.R. James. His wonderful ghost stories, which depend on atmosphere and the power of suggestion instead of explicit gore and violence, are just as effective today as when they were written almost a century ago. "Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad" is one I especially admire.

Posts: 2440 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks alot...after you said it, it suddenly jumped at me that the book DID say it was a part of dandelion wine...guess i drink too much =\

anyway, yes, i agree...very scary. its the only part of dandelion wine ive read (dont hit me for that) but it obviously had an effect on me, it was some time ago that i had read it. thank you again for your help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post