Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The big black and white game

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The big black and white game
 Login/Join

posted
From "Golden Apples of the Sun."

It describes a baseball game in which the sports best white players competed with the best black players.

There is an incident where a white player intentionally slides his cleets into the ankle of a black player. Later in the story, the black team's pitcher pegs the white player responsible in the head.

Now when I was reading this I had a strange inkling. This peice is not a work of fiction but an actual account told by Ray Bradbury.

Does anyone have information to confirm or deny this?

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, a number of Ray's stories are based on real incidents. I don't know right off the top of my head whether this was one of them, but we'll know in April when the biography comes out.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray has said that "The Big Black and White Game" is based on his actual expeiences as a youngster during, I believe, a family trip to Wisconsin.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post