Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Find a Particular Anthology Appearance?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Find a Particular Anthology Appearance?
 Login/Join

posted
Someone wants to know which Hitchcock anthology "The Whole Town's Sleeping" appeared in. Any way of checking all Hitchcock anthologies containing Bradbury stories? Thanks.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel sure the information MUST be on the web somewhere, but haven't found it yet. I do know, however, that Martin Grams (and someone else) did a book about the ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS TV series, and this includes a chapter about the anthology books. I don't have the book to hand at the moment, but I'll check it later (may take a few days).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I have five of the adults' anthologies and at least three of the children's. One adult's and one children's have Ray stories but not that one. Thanks for checking. I was so disappointed that the Locus Index to Science Fiction lists anthologies but not contents!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Whole Town's Sleeping" appeared in the 1961 Alfred Hitchcock anthology, ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS STORIES FOR LATE AT NIGHT. Check the following link for other appearances of this fine and creepy story:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?64922

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy, you must've done something wrong. I've used the Locus Index (and its predecessor, the Contento Index, which is in the same format)to establish the contents of anthologies on scores of occasions. My only complaint is that the updating has fallen several years behind.

In addition, the Locus Index gives you all the pertinent info about an anthology on a single page, whereas on isfdb you sometimes have to hop around. The locus Index also usually has the story length categories, which supernerds like me like to have.

On the other hand, isfdb is more fully updated to somewhere near the present. That's why I use it more often nowadays.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, you guys. Will pass the information on.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I don't have the book to hand at the moment...

I like that the British say "book to hand".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep my books in the boot of my car and read them once a fortnight, usually over the weekend. While walking on the pavement. And, er, while riding in the lift.

Oh, and I wear my pants under my trousers, and keep my car's engine under the bonnet.

Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I keep my books in the boot of my car and read them once a fortnight, usually over the weekend. While walking on the pavement. And, er, while riding in the lift.

Oh, and I wear my pants under my trousers, and keep my car's engine under the bonnet.

Big Grin

I love that you do all those things! You Britisher!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's funny about that?

I actually DO keep books in the trunk - oops, boot - of my car.

It's like this: I don't have enough room for books in the house. All the available shelving is taken up. My life partner (who owns everything) occasionally grumbles about the clutter.

So when I buy a book, especially if it's just a sale book or some inessential whim buy, I feel so guilty about it that the poor book has to stay in the car until I figure out what to do with it.

After the book has served an apprenticeship for an appropriate period in the car, I'll usually take it into the house, having thought up a place to put it. Or if I've decided that the book isn't important enough, it lives at my office, where there is still some room.

This would never happen to a Bradbury book, of course! Ray's books all have their special place.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post