Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Most DANGEROUS Motion Pictures Ever
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most DANGEROUS Motion Pictures Ever
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
What I want to know is when is “Roundup Day”, Wednesday? And what are the five titles for the days? I can only think of three: “Guest Star Day”? “Anything Can Happen Day” and “Roundup Day”.

"I’m no fool, nosiree. I’m going to live to be eighty-three…"

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, here's a link with all the lyrics to each day's theme!

http://www.cfhf.net/lyrics/mickey.htm

Thursday was "Circus Day"!
("Talent Round-up" was Friday)

"... I play safe for you and me, 'cause I'm no fool!"

"Beauty is as Beauty does, that's what wise men say..."

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard- I kind of thought pleasentville was far too preachy, and out of touch with the reality of the true moralty of this country. Who was it aimed at, really? The moral majority? Thats been out of existance for years.
It was a little over-rated, I think. I watched it recently and found it rather grating.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "true morality of this country" is probably not exactly what the media would have us believe it is.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II is right about the media. But I think there are a lot of moral people out there, all over. Remember, lots of people are scared so they act mean and wear masks but deep down they’re ready to save a kitty or help a wee old woman with her groceries.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its almost as if, (and forgive me if I interperated (spelling?) the film wrong) the film makers are making commentary on the countries aversion to sex and sexuality, almost making it seem like its, far too moral, when in fact, that hasnt been the case for years, in my opinion, I feel like the film is beating a dead horse, or making an already dead point.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The writers and directors of PLEASANTVILLE are playing to an audience indifferent to the general day to day American reality after a world war that just wiped out 65 plus millions. In the film, families as well as individuals are looked upon as sexually stupid. They needed sexual activity, and we see their breath-giving colorization resulting from being suddenly really alive. The writers must have been writing about themselves...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still, I found the piece irrelevent and preachy.

posted Hide Post
I found the movie obnoxious as well. But I don't understand. What can you possibly find preachy about Pleasantville? That everyone was dumb back then?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chronological Snobbery, perhaps.
(q.v. earlier discussion of same)

posted Hide Post
I feel like they were making the allusion that there are people who are still too repressed and moral, and live life in black and white, so to speak, and a fifties sitcom was the symbol for that. Then I sit and wonder... who? who in this day and age is like that at all? middle america? the right? who? Thats at least what I sensed.

posted Hide Post
The Brady Bunch movie was funny in a really surreal way, because the Bradys were not only living in 1972, but in an artificial version thereof, where the rest of the world made them look like from another planet!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote would probably go to the film 'Crash'.
Any movie that dares to show human actions and emotions in a no-baloney way is always dangerous. When you watch the movie, you cannot imagine someone actually WRIITING the thing. The writer is invisible. The movie just IS, and that is why I think it is 'dangerous'.

If you have not seen it, you should.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dangerous? Hmmm. I'd say any movie that not only portrays opinion or an agenda as fact (like Oliver Stone or Michael Moore or Al Gore films - and I would add "Back To The Future" to these), but counts on the lamentable ignorance of young Americans as regards actual history; thereby creating a generation that believes these "documentaries" to be historical - with all the ensuing cultural consequences!

posted Hide Post
Extremely good and thoughtful choice there.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post