Ray Bradbury Forums
Something Wicked This Way Comes

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/6951079901

26 June 2004, 09:53 AM
Wezel
Something Wicked This Way Comes
I was entranced by this book. the descriptions, the subject. I read it right after polishing off The Martian Chronicles and it was so different. I found it totally intrigueing.
26 June 2004, 12:16 PM
Mr. Dark
It is a book I love, also. My first Bradbury was F451. After that I read Something Wicked and Martian Chronicles. After that I was completely hooked. Something Wicked is just a great read, at multiple levels.
06 October 2020, 06:17 PM
Black Train
This, and Fahrenheit 451 were the first Ray Bradbury novels I read, too. They are two books that I read every couple of years or so. Dandelion Wine was another I liked, but have only read once. I love pretty much all of his short stories. But what can I say about this novel that hasn't already been said? Such poetic storytelling, replete with amazing use of metaphor and simile. I don't know if I will ever get to any of his others, because I keep rereading this and F 451.
07 October 2020, 05:55 AM
Richard
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is my favorite Bradbury novel as well. For me, it's not just Ray's superb writing that grabs me. Just as important for me is wonderful relationship between father and son described throughout the novel, which usually causes me to reflect fondly on my own close relationship with my late father. A truly great book!
07 October 2020, 08:47 AM
Black Train
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is my favorite Bradbury novel as well. For me, it's not just Ray's superb writing that grabs me. Just as important for me is wonderful relationship between father and son described throughout the novel, which usually causes me to reflect fondly on my own close relationship with my late father. A truly great book!

I really like that about it, too. I meant to add that it's also a great and classic story of good vs evil.
24 October 2020, 07:49 AM
Black Train
It's October the 24th, the date given marking the arrival of the carnival in Green Town. How many days in all was it there in the town until the end of the story? Has anyone made a timeline, I wonder?
24 October 2020, 05:42 PM
dandelion
Someone probably has. Wanna know what's really weird? Ray always believed his uncle was murdered just before Labor Day and that he ditched part of the memorial to go to a labor day carnival. Sam Weller's research proved that the uncle actually died October 24!
24 October 2020, 06:57 PM
Black Train
May he rest easy. That is weird, and interesting! I wonder what all happened.
01 January 2021, 01:46 PM
dandelion
The uncle's grave was unmarked and other family members had false memories of his dying around Labor Day.
24 October 2021, 01:20 PM
dandelion
Happy October 24!
24 October 2021, 03:09 PM
MikeD
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Happy October 24!

I awoke three hours past midnight, realizing I was now deep within October Country.