Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

farenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
DO you think the message of farenheit 451 is that book burning is bad or not knowing books is bad?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 27 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both, but particularly the second one. I think Ray once said something like
"You don't have to burn books to destroy the culture, just get people to stop reading them."

-----------------------------

Posts: 32 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware. | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the message of Farenheit 451 is that whenever people turn away from their souls into materialism, because it is easy and comfortable, there will be war and social chaos, and people will feel so empty that they won't want to live any more.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the basic message of '451' has always been the same:

You can't kill ideas simply by burning the books that contain them...(remember...at the end of the book there are the folks memorizing the books)

Every time someone suggests banning or burning some book, they will refer the banner/burner to Ray's book. It is a legacy, and in my opinion the single greatest contribution he made to the human condition. It's a reference work, in a way.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the most precious commodities we have as humans is the ability to think freely--yet, there are always those who want to take that away. . .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ravenswake,

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clarisse is a very intriguing figure in the book; or rather, just a fresh personality? Either way, he had mentioned there were requests for people asking ,'whatever happened to her?' in the novel. I, don't think there should be further information regarding her- I don't think her re-appearing later on, or finding her amongst other people would have the same effect on the reader. I like the fact she disappears, it's more spontaneous. What do you think? should.. Clarisse be re-introduced in the book?

Posts: 1 | Location: Ontario | Registered: 17 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OctoberRain (great name, BTW),

Welcome.

I agree. I've always felt that Clarisse was a great character, and that her 'going missing' (or presumed death) served as a catalyst for the rest of the novel. Montag had a number of epiphanies in F-451, and Clarisse's life and 'death' changed him forever.

I never wanted Clarisse to reappear like she did in the movie version. It felt all wrong to me.

I'm pretty sure this same topic has been discussed in the past on these boards, but it might have been a couple of years ago or longer.

Lake

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, Bradbury said he preferred the movie version, that he should never have killed off Clarisse so quickly in the book, and he was thinking of having her reappear in the sequel with some explanation of her death having been a rumor concocted by authorities from whom she later escaped.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never mess with perfection.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Lake:
Never mess with perfection.

Unfortunately, this is what Ray does - constantly! He's always re-writing his stories, often for a different medium. In his play of Fahrenheit 451, Clarisse lives! (He was inspired by Truffaut's film version.)

Generally, I don't mind when Ray changes one of his stories, but sometimes he needs to leave things alone. His dramatisation of "The Pedestrian" has two characters in it, which seems to completely miss the point of the story.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good insights/comments, there, Phil.
I understand some visual adaptations of a story rely on dialogue via a "confidente" in order to tell the tale; but something else, perhaps a narration, might have been used for "Pedestrian".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Donn Albright has said that sometimes Ray messes up stories when he rewrites them--for instance, the newer beginning to "The Lake." There were some improvements, some things that might have been as good either way, and some things not as good, in the rewritten version.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic and all,

Many writers look back on their work and rewrite it. Some adapt it for other genres. So far, RB has not revised his original novel, F-451.

I'm just saying that it's not necessary to draw a new smile on the Mona Lisa.

posted Hide Post
Ya see? This is why tattoos are a Bad Idea.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s it. No more beverages for me while reading these posts. Braling II has done it to me again.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post