New
Find
Notify
Tools

farenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I endeavor to give satisfaction.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe he's being paid off by computer keyboard makers!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just wanted to drop in and say that so far so good for Fahrenheit 451. My whole class is reading the book and evereybody loves it. Fahrenheit 451= a+.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news but context is everything. What grade? Are you a student or the teacher?

After two pipefulls from the Persian slipper I’m going to deduce eleventh grade and you are the teacher. What shall we call this one? Ah, The Adventure of the Fourth Quarter I think.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane (Michael): Just simply great of you to share the National Endowment, Big Read F451 collection with me! It is perfectly timed, as well, since I just finished Part I (Hearth and Salamander) with gr. 12's. The narration will be included with activities for all classes current and yet to come! So I will "Pass it on!"

My friendly thanks to you. It is extremly well done and highly informative.
f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And then this from a board elsewhere:

"Hi i have to write ana essay on differences between farenheit 451(the book) and farenheit 451(the movie). I have watched the movie but i havent read the book. Can u help me with any possible differences?"

Brilliant. Simpy brilliant. The future is in good hands. You think?

Old Ben Franklin sure knew what he was doing when he conjured up that idea of having a group called "firemen" to start all those neat fires.

posted Hide Post
I like Mark Twain's advice on raising children (as I remember it):
After they're weaned, put them into a barrel, nail the lid on and feed them through a hole until they're teenagers - then plug the hole!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This book is fenomenal I read it when I was 14 and I am now 25 and it is still a book that I cannot put down. I love this book.

LMF

Posts: 4 | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry again Chapter 31 for my contribution to your spewing coffee all over your monitor. By the way I am still sleeping with a machine and have an appointment to see if I can get a new one. The one I have is 8 or 9 years old and I went to clean the hose and water was all over my bathroom floor where holes had appeared. I find out later that the hoses are to be replaced every six months and mine was 8 or 9 years old.

As for Clarrise. In Ray's play performed at the GableStage Theatre at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables, Florida (see other post and more photos to come) Clarisse does re-appear at the end as one of the book people learning word by word a book from an elderly man soon to die. It brought tears to my eyes. The young lady playing her did a real nice job which helped a lot.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate you replying so quickly but is there a movie I can rent or even buy?

LMF

posted Hide Post
A movie of Fahrehheit 451? Sure, look here. Bear in mind that it's not exactly the same as the book, though.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or you could wait for the Darabont version - the Truffaut version was imperfect.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360556/

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, is it really nothing like the book??

LMF

posted Hide Post
I would say it's about 80% the same as the book, in terms of plot. There are some crucial omissions, and some odd inventions. Clarisse has a different fate in the movie, and so does civilisation.

In terms of 'feel', however, I think it's very different from the book.

Truffaut was trying to do many different things with the film - being faithful to Bradbury's text was only one of them. He was also in an anti-James Bond phase, which is why the firefighting technology and the telephones shown in the film are so antiquated.

And, of course, it was Truffaut's first film in English (probably Oskar Werner's as well), so the dialogue is sometimes rather odd.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post