Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Searching for a particular story -- need help!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searching for a particular story -- need help!
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Bradbury fans -- love the board!

Well our annual Halloween part is coming up, where we get costumed and read scary stories. it's really fun.

I want to read a story I remember from my teenage years, which I THINK is by Mr. Bradbury.

It's a story in which an apartment dweller kills someone in his building, then begins cleaning up the evidence, fingerprints, etc. But he gets so obsessed with cleaning that he can't stop, and the police find him the next day still cleaning. (It's kind of like a modern-day Telltale Heart.)

Can any one help me? Did Ray Bradbury write this story, and if so what's its name?

Thanks so much!

E-mail me if you want: sned2@sbcglobal.net

--Sned

Posts: 2 | Location: Glendale, CA | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard, Sned!
The story you're looking for is by Bradbury. It's "The Fruit At The Bottom Of The Bowl", and I think it's in "The Golden Apples Of The Sun" collection.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II is correct. Here's the full ist of Bradbury books the story appears in:

Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales
The Golden Apples of the Sun
The Vintage Bradbury
Twice 22
A Sound of Thunder and Other Stories (which is a re-titled version of Golden Apples of the Sun)

It was also adapted for the Ray Bradbury Theatre TV series - reviewed here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Braling and Philnic! Off to the library I go!

(We have a huge tome "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" with all the usual suspects but not this story!)

Posts: 2 | Location: Glendale, CA | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sned2, what you really need (unless you want to buy every Bradbury book) is the TWO tomes: The Stories of Ray Bradbury AND Bradbury Stories. Together, these contain most (but not all) of RB's greatest hits. There is no overlap between them, so you're not getting ripped off!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this a Bradbury story? There is a similar theme in Fahrenheit 451, but this is a different story. A man is out walking in the evening, enjoying the outdoors, and is picked up as a lunatic. Everyone else sits indoors watching screens.

Then another, may not be Bradbury, about a professor who invents a ray gun and puts it in his mailbox.

I'd appreciate any help in finding these titles.

Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1st - "The Pedestrian" from Golden Apples

2nd - a Bradbury?!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! That was quick! And just what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

No, I'm not at all sure the second one is by Bradbury.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone... i have aproject for school and was wondering if any of you knew the details on Utterly Perfect Murder. I have to write an essay about it and cant find any thing on the web. Thanks so Much!

Confused

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seek and ye shall find...

Click here for Google results. Or tell us what you want to know, and we may be able to help.

- Phil