Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favorite mag cover with a story by Mr. Bradbury inside.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite mag cover with a story by Mr. Bradbury inside.
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 31 | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
awesome. the cement mixer's one of me favs. (can u tell by my name?)

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ettil,

I'm sure we've all been too polite to mention it until now, but you've drawn attention to it so I can't resist pointing out the story is called "The CONCRETE Mixer" (not "The Cement Mixer")!

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*(&$(^)&*#^&*$(#$^ your right!

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my favourite recent cover with a poem by Ray Bradbury. I can't figure out how to post the picture here. Maybe someone more adept can help out. Thanks.
GS

http://www.rsbd.net/issue_28_contents.htm

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to oblige:

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic-
Thanks!! One of these days, I'm going to become computer savvy.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concerning my censored posts:

"Every dimwit editor who sees himself as the source of all dreary blanc-mange plain porridge unleavened literature, licks his guillotine and eyes the neck of any author who dares to speak above a whisper or write above a nursery rhyme...."
Ray Bradbury

posted Hide Post
Comparing yourself to Bradbury? That's not even worth a laugh!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're correct, Dan D. Lyin', Mr. Bardbury NEVER worte ANYTHING as iconoclastic as I have, read for yourself.

This is NOT "Blanc-mange plain porridge unleavened literature," now is it?

[Transcript of an audio recording]

*clap of thunder followed by a background ghostly robotic music*

�Myriad moons ago, in the land of Pharaoh, there came to power a Being of wondrous propensities.
He was called Amenhotep IV. Amemhotep IV envisioned, and then implemented, a monumental and unsurpassed addition to culture. Amenhotep IV was the first to have a society introduced to the theology of a one-god religion. Yes, Amenhotep IV institutionalized monotheism, a religion of one god.
This was a true monotheism, not the polytheism that Judaism, Christianity and Islam, each usually having at least two gods ~ the one all-benevolent, the other all-evil ~ have been for hundreds and hundreds of years.
Yes, Amenhotep proclaimed the Aten, the Sun God, as the only god in all the universe; he even changed his name to reflect this new devotional imagery.

No prosaic Pharaoh was he, the works of Egyptian art were advanced to a vastly, almost impressionist, beautiful form.
Of course when a vast change comes many resist it. After all, the feebleminded peasants were content to have had their religion spoonfeed to them by, less than astute, ancestors.
The established priests didn�t want one-god concepts cutting into their lucrative, wholly unholy, business.

Nevertheless, the Pharaohs were considered gods in their own right.
Ergo, any opposition to the new religion was wee and reserved. But the only people to sincerely embrace Amenhotep�s religion were the upperclass, very well educated members of his governmental theocratic oligarchy. This was no small number, the ancient Egyptian government was a vast institution.

Not terribly long after Amenhotep�s demise the priests and peasants of the polytheist deities were once again able to gain political power.
They began a systematic, and extremely well financed, program of wiping any trace of the reign of Amenhotep IV from the face of the Earth. His name, original as well as his new, were obliterated from temple, obelisk, monument and papyrus.
The polytheist re-writers of history were very efficient, but not 100% so. Monotheism�s followers were also persecuted.
To even utter the former Pharaoh�s name was a crime punishable by a sound thrashing or even death!
Thus, these believes in a single god, who used to end all prayers by speaking the new name Amenhotep had chosen, reverted back to ending their supernally aimed beseeching with the words - �Freed From Doubt by Amenhotep.�

But this was also seen as a blasphemous act by the ancient polytheistic spin-doctors. So, they needed to conclude their prayers, to their singular god, with another sound of solemn ratification.
And that way soon became the word - - - AMEN !

Moreover, those who descended from Amenhotep�s followers, though many changes have been made to their religion over the long years, became know as.....the Jews.

*music now becomes the gospel classic �Amen� with a satirical lyrical redo*

Amen
Hotep
Amen hotep amen
Groovin� with his sweety
her name was Nefertiti
amen hotep amen
real style down by the Nile
a pile of p�t� crocodile
amen hotep hotep

{ fin }
[To hear this work and �Jesus Christ the Facts� (The history of how Ovid created the Jesus of Nazareth/Christ character) check the URL.]
http://www.ic-musicmedia.com/artist_pages/songpage.php?mp3id=83390

posted Hide Post
TOR:

elbanosaer dnuos ll'ti
dna
sdrawkcab klat ll'ew ebyam
yademos spahrep gniog
er'ew yaw eht

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury has written many unorthodox things regarding religion, much of which can be found in the "Chapbook for Burnt-Out Priests, Rabbis, and Ministers," but as this thread is supposed to be about magazine covers this is all getting a bit off-topic.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandylion, the key word, in what I wrote, is "As."

555 ft. homerun
or a
homerun
both are darn good

This is a nice F� 451 cover

posted Hide Post
MY favorite story is Homecoming, and when it was first published in a 1946 issue of Mademoiselle, the issue's cover art was from Charles Addams. This image was used again for the dustjacket of Bradbury's 2000 'novel' From The Dust Returned. Addams and Bradbury became freinds after that issue, and the original painting from that 1946 mag stayed with Bradbury (still does), and he used it for the newer book.
I think it's a perfect blend of his and Addams' sensibilities, and so vivid!
SM

Posts: 7 | Location: Mellon Town, IL USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've spent the past half-hour looking for it, but I'm giving up.

My favorite is more of an ego thing, because it was such a thrill... I had a piece in the last issue of the most recent incarnation of "Amazing Stories" that also contained a story by Ray Bradbury. It's something for me to be printed in the same issue that has the name of someone I admire as much as I do Bradbury on the cover. (I believe it was the one with the holographic Stan and Ollie... but I can't even find my copy of "One for the Road" at the moment, so I can't look the title of the story up!)

The image was of John Travolta as a psyklo. Nothing to do with Bradbury's story.

I wish I could find my copies. I need to get my office AND bookshelves straightened up....

Steve Miller

[This message has been edited by Steve Miller (edited 06-21-2004).]

Posts: 13 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post