Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Dandelion Wine and Tim Burton

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine and Tim Burton
 Login/Join

posted
Dandelion Wine was a landmark in my childhood, at time that no other book would have meant more. It would be a crime if it wasn't made a movie with Tim Burton directing. I'm surprised there hasn't been a collaboration, yet.

Posts: 1 | Location: Loveland, CO, USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion Wine was my "first" RB experience, and I was hooked after that. I don't know, however, that I'd like to see it made into a movie. In my opinion, Bradbury's writing doesn't translate well into movies, because no director or ensemble of actors can capture that magic that is RB on film. It, sadly, loses something in the translation.

I love Burton's work. It is wonderfully magical in its own way... But to try and put DW on the Big Screen...? I have yet to see a Bradbury work made into a film that represents the writer's incomparable literary qualities. How, for example, do you show a boy rolling down a grassy hill with his mouth "full of sunshine"? As we read, we can not only see this in our minds, but we can FEEL it, smell it, remember it from our own youth. I don't think one can obtain that kind of sensory nostalgia from watching it on screen.

Would I go see it if it were made? You bet. Hey...there's always a first time.

Interesting point for discussion!

Posts: 15 | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
singthebody, have you seen THE WONDERFUL ICE CREAM SUIT? If not, I recommend you check it out at your local video store. Released directly to video (which is a shame, because I think it could have done very well in theaters), it was directed by Stuart Gordon, and stars Joe Mantegna and Edward James Olmos. It's a fine film, and is very true to Ray's short story and play. That's probably because Ray wrote the screenplay, and Stuart Gordon actually filmed what Ray wrote!

Posts: 2452 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. In Ice Cream Suit you can actually hear the poetic style of RB, and humor as well, coming to life with the actors' performances. The bath, bar room, and bullfight scenes are hilarious.

It would take a special understanding of the author's works to get anything put to cinima "just right." SWTWC wasn't too bad, F451 mostly missed the boat, Ill. Man was totally bewildering. Sound of Thunder?? We'll just have to see! (Any word on RB's input here, other than firing the original director for wanting to "kill off" the already dead butterfly?)

So, any future attempts must have Mr. B's hand directly involved. He seems quite busy as it is. Dandelion Wine done well would be a triumph for all RB fans. Burton might be up to it.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree that having RB's hand in a film project would help. I'll check out The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit on video. I had hesitated, b/c I had seen a play version in Southern Calif. (I believe Bradbury was connected with the production) and was not really wowed by it. But if RB admirers find it a good representation, I'll gladly view it.

I liked SWTWC, but thought it just missed the mark. It had moments of "Bradburyness", but the depiction of
Dark's Carnival just couldn't be done as written. It was, however, a good attempt.

I totally agree about F451. While I love Oskar Werner, but there was just nothing of RB in that movie. I still watch it, on occasion, and never think of it as having anything remotely to do with RB.

The TV mini-series of The Martian Chronicles was another fiasco. But I shall check out TWICS! Thanks for the recommendation!

UPDATE: Just got "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit" from Amazon and watched it last night. It truly is a magical movie, and very well done. Thanks again for the recommendation!

[This message has been edited by singthebody (edited 02-18-2004).]

Posts: 15 | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After "Big Fish," I do think a collaboration is definately in order!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't tell me that Tim Burton couldn't get the most out of "From the Dust Returned" and maybe even do "Something Wicked This Way Comes" right!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post