Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Decaying Orbit

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decaying Orbit
 Login/Join

posted
Seeing the repeated images on TV of Columbia burning up in the stratosphere, I keep thinking of one of Ray's storys. It centers on 3 spacemen--thrust out of their ship in one manner or another--in a degrading Earth orbit. They talk with one another as their revolutions about the Earth speed up and grow shorter, eventually resolving their feelings about their impending doom. Does anyone know the name of this one?

Posts: 3 | Location: Mound, MN USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure you're referring to Kaleidoscope. The story has come up a lot because it does seem to anticipate the imagely of the Columbia's split re-entry into the atmosphere.

A couple differences, though: There are more than three astronauts, some are going back to earth and some are not (I think only one is returning to earth), and the ship they're in is "cut apart".

But it is a great story. I re-read it today, along with "The Rocket Man". (Both are in "The Illustrated Man".)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, both great ones. I agree. I think they both show up in R is for Rocket too. There's a story by Arthur Clarke involving a guy's moon orbit decaying I think. It was good but I can't remember what it was called.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That semi-classic sci-fi movie before Star Wars, called Dark Star, ends with the fellow spaceman ...surfboarding ...his way down into the atmosphere at the end of the movie....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clarke also wrote a piece entitled "Transit of Earth" involving a stranded astronaut setting off across the lunar landscape without hope of rescue but knowing that he will become the first person in history to see the earth pass between the moon and the sun. For mood music, he turns on Bach's "Toccatta and Fugue in D Minor". Have often wondered if the story influenced the opening credits of "2001: A Space Odyssey", which Clarke, after all, co-wrote.

"Dark Star" definitely borrowed bits of its ending from "Kaleidoscope". Though the unforgettable barstool Country theme music is pure John Carpenter. Hey....there's someone else who could direct "Fahrenheit 451"

Posts: 5 | Location: Eveleth, Minnesota, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Star Wars is cool.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MadDog:

Star Wars? What's that one about...?

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-23-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, ya see, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury via John Carpenter. Woah.

I don't know. Carpenter's not an extremely consistent director, but when he's good, he's Very good, as in the first Halloween, and (I think) In the Mouth of Madness.

All the same, I think while he might be able to capture the darker side of the work, he probably lacks the poetry.

Star Wars... oh, the memories...

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a ...Preview movie ticket for Star Wars. Never used. One large blue ticket, for the Esquire Theater in Chicago. It was given to the Press in Chicago, for reviewing the movie before it opened generally. Was in Los Angeles ... and never got to use it......
Hmm ! Calling E-Bay!!!!

posted Hide Post
I'll give ya a dollar for it. No, wait....(counts change in pocket). Ok, $1.78. And will throw in a copy of my book (one of the rare, unsigned copies).

Posts: 5 | Location: Eveleth, Minnesota, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hold out for more, Nard. Someone just got more than that for a plain white unused sheet of computer paper. I'm not kidding.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:
I originally had two tickets, because that's the way they sent them out. Sold one about 4 or 5 years ago for $50. Thought I'd keep this one, tho. Thanks!