Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    montag and the hound
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

montag and the hound
 Login/Join

posted
In part III of Fahrenheit 451, when Montag was running away from the mechanical hound, and it was chasing him did you ever think that the mechanical hound was going to catch Guy Montag and kill him or at least hurt him. Or did you think that Montag was going o run away from the mechanical hound and live ?

Posts: 6 | Location: Lemont | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montag was the central character in the novel. It didn't occur to me that it would capture and kill him. The possibility of him being capured entered my mind, though.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I was sure that Montag will find a way to escape. After all the years he was a fireman he probably learned a weak side of the hound. He probably seen peaople who tried to escape from the hound. He also seen what works and what doesnt. So i knew that Montag would get away from the hound.

Posts: 4 | Location: lemont , illinois , united States | Registered: 21 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a feeling that montag was going to run away, but also, the hound WAS fast, so it kinda went fifty-fifty on that, but im glad that montag got away safely...

Posts: 6 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew Montag would live. In 99.9 percent of books the protaganist always lives.

Posts: 12 | Location: Andover, Kansas, USA | Registered: 06 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MathNerd,

99.9% is correct, with a high statistical signifigance. The number of books in which the protagonist dies definately falls outside of two standard deviations below the mean!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just read 'To Have and Have Not'. Guess who dies?

'For Whom the Bell Tolls', anyone?

Posts: 34 | Location: houston | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps "The Old Man and the Sea" is the ONLY major Hemingway one where the protagonist does NOT die!

As for Montag and the hound...it's just a shame he couldn't have tamed it and they could be friends. Maybe he could even set it on the bad guys.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought that there was going to be a chance that the hound was going to kill and injury Montag. Because the hound sounded like it was very vicious in the way it was discribed in the book. But on the other hand i thought that he was just going to run inside the house and lock himself inside there forever.

Posts: 5 | Location: Wausau, WI, USA | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like two other people stated, the protagonist usually gets away, so I figured that Montag was going to escape.

Posts: 18 | Location: Wausau | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, i thought that Montag would live cuz there was a lot of pages left in part 3 so he would have to win and he was the main character and usually the main character doesnt die.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i knew that he was atleast was going to get stabbed by him but not die... also he actually does die... the fake montag does die....

Posts: 19 | Location: wausau, WI | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's true music_rocker, but what about Romeo and Juliet? Both of the main characters died at the end, and it was a sad ending instead of the common happy endings you're thinking of.

Posts: 6 | Location: Wausau, Wisconsin, United States | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that the hound would have hurt him instead of killing him because he might of cared about him and he was probably programed to not kill firemen.

Posts: 7 | Location: Wausau, WI. 54401 | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kinda thought that Mantog was'nt going to get away because he's kinda old so I did'nt think he would be able to run to fast, and the dog has alot of legs so he would run faster.

Posts: 3 | Location: Merrill,Wisconsin,United States | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post