Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Story excerpt recalling Halloween

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Story excerpt recalling Halloween
 Login/Join

posted
I remember reading a short story, or possibly and excerpt from a story, related to Halloween. It was a recollection of a boy and his sister on Halloween night describing their emotions throughout the evening, from the anticipation before to the joy of the festivities to the sorrow of the evening being done and gone. This excerpt eloquently captures in words the same exact feelings I had about halloween as a child. If anyone recognizes this story, please let me know. Any information will be appreciated

Posts: 3 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome DrJohn625.

Sorry I don't recognize this story. When you find out, please let us know.

Worth checking out, if you have not already, are Ray Bradbury's collection The October Country, and The Halloween Tree. Peace and good luck.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like something Elizabeth Enright, Eleanor Estes, or Beverly Cleary might write. I would particularly check all of Estes's Moffats books, which are well worth a read. I am about to read Enright's Melendy books again soon and will let you know if Halloween is mentioned. Cleary did write at least one book about a brother and sister, Mitch and Amy, but I don't remember if Halloween is in it. Many stories from such books appeared as excerpts in textbooks.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Linnl and Dandelion. I absolutely LOVE "The October Country". It's one of my favorite Bradbury books. I haven't read "The Halloween Tree" yet, but I definitely will.

Posts: 3 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I FOUND IT !! A member here named Bulldoggrrl posted about this. It was a short story published in Readers Digest October 30 1975. It was titled "Tricks! Treats! Gangway!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrJohn625:
I FOUND IT !! A member here named Bulldoggrrl posted about this. It was a short story published in Readers Digest October 30 1975. It was titled "Tricks! Treats! Gangway!"

No wonder the confusion! That's an essay, not a short story! But it's a great essay.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And it would have helped if you'd said two brothers, not a brother and sister. Had me thinking along entirely wrong lines.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, memory; one of the least trustworthy human faculties (if I recall correctly...)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The books I recommended are good, though.

posted Hide Post
Hey dude most of the books I have already read, those were good enough to read. But I am seeking for some horror story. Do you know any new horror story book.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles Anthony,

Posts: 1 | Registered: 03 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I am seeking for some horror story, I go to the horror section of a bookshop or library, or search for "horror" on Amazon.com.

Or are you specifically seeking for some horror story book by Bradbury?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post