https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/6651015372

10 June 2004, 10:52 PM
TaoistBoy
Saddest story/book
What stories are the saddest to you??
10 June 2004, 11:15 PM
dandelion
Of Bradbury's, or overall?

One that keeps recurring to me, especially coming to mind a lot lately, as heartbreakingly sad is "Sun Horse, Moon Horse," by Rosemary Sutcliff. Beautifully written, with a lot of insights on a creative individual's life, but TERRIBLY sad!
10 June 2004, 11:20 PM
TaoistBoy
Try to make it a bradbury book or story but you can add other ones if they touched you in some way.
11 June 2004, 01:52 AM
Mr. Dark
"The Dwarf" is always a story that touches me.
11 June 2004, 11:47 AM
fjpalumbo
"Beggar on O'Connell Bridge" from RB/narrator pt. of view

...other, "Scarlet Ibis" from a big brother's pt. of view. (James Hurst)

fpalumbo
12 June 2004, 12:14 AM
Translator
Non-Bradbury would be Cyrano de Bergerac. The ending scenes at the convent. Heartwrenching.

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader
12 June 2004, 04:13 PM
douglasSP
"The Miracles of Jamie" and "All Summer in a Day."
12 June 2004, 09:16 PM
Rodney
"The Lake" of course. I understand this was the story in which Ray first found his literary voice. It made him cry as it did me.
13 June 2004, 03:56 AM
animawalker
The Homecoming. The first RB story I ever read. I just reread it recently after about 18 years and it still bears the same atmosphere. I really like RB's darker stories IE October country. The story about the man that reaps the wheatfield seems to me to be the inspiration for Greg Bear's Psyclone.
13 June 2004, 05:41 PM
groon
Hands down, I'd say "Rememberance," from his poetry collection "When Elephants Last in the Dooryard Bloomed."
13 June 2004, 10:07 PM
lmskipper
"Season of Disbelief" makes me unbelievably sad. I've read it twice now, and it just gets to me.
21 June 2004, 02:23 AM
sclerismockrey
Season of Disbelief is very sad, but I think Homecoming and All Summer In A Day are the two that I recall most when thinking of 'sad' Bradbury (Ray Sadbury?)Although The Lake certainly has it's frog-in-the-throat mood, Homecoming really can make me cry.
All Summer is sad, but also very angering!
There Will Come Soft Rains has to be in the list somewhere, for sadness, though from a different direction.
21 June 2004, 03:01 AM
Mr. Dark
"All Summer in a Day" is pretty sad, also. It is so believable -- even though it occurs on Venus (as though Venus were habitable!). This is one of the things so good about Bradbury. He takes real human emotions and places them in settings that are unreal -- but the humanity comes through as being real.
09 July 2004, 01:50 PM
rm-r
"Heart Transplant." Can't remember the anthology - maybe Driving Blind. I love it, and read it fairly regularly. It is so sad.
09 July 2004, 02:45 PM
Braling II
There are several of Ray's stories whichmake me misty. One which always makes me sad (in the way that I almost hope it will end differently each time I read it) is "The Exiles". I hate to say goodbye to Poe, Bierce, et al...