Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Saddest story/book
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saddest story/book
 Login/Join

posted
What stories are the saddest to you??

Posts: 16 | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of Bradbury's, or overall?

One that keeps recurring to me, especially coming to mind a lot lately, as heartbreakingly sad is "Sun Horse, Moon Horse," by Rosemary Sutcliff. Beautifully written, with a lot of insights on a creative individual's life, but TERRIBLY sad!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try to make it a bradbury book or story but you can add other ones if they touched you in some way.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Dwarf" is always a story that touches me.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Beggar on O'Connell Bridge" from RB/narrator pt. of view

...other, "Scarlet Ibis" from a big brother's pt. of view. (James Hurst)

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Non-Bradbury would be Cyrano de Bergerac. The ending scenes at the convent. Heartwrenching.

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Miracles of Jamie" and "All Summer in a Day."

Posts: 110 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Lake" of course. I understand this was the story in which Ray first found his literary voice. It made him cry as it did me.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Homecoming. The first RB story I ever read. I just reread it recently after about 18 years and it still bears the same atmosphere. I really like RB's darker stories IE October country. The story about the man that reaps the wheatfield seems to me to be the inspiration for Greg Bear's Psyclone.

Posts: 2 | Location: Portland, Or | Registered: 13 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hands down, I'd say "Rememberance," from his poetry collection "When Elephants Last in the Dooryard Bloomed."

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Season of Disbelief" makes me unbelievably sad. I've read it twice now, and it just gets to me.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Season of Disbelief is very sad, but I think Homecoming and All Summer In A Day are the two that I recall most when thinking of 'sad' Bradbury (Ray Sadbury?)Although The Lake certainly has it's frog-in-the-throat mood, Homecoming really can make me cry.
All Summer is sad, but also very angering!
There Will Come Soft Rains has to be in the list somewhere, for sadness, though from a different direction.

Posts: 7 | Location: Mellon Town, IL USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"All Summer in a Day" is pretty sad, also. It is so believable -- even though it occurs on Venus (as though Venus were habitable!). This is one of the things so good about Bradbury. He takes real human emotions and places them in settings that are unreal -- but the humanity comes through as being real.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Heart Transplant." Can't remember the anthology - maybe Driving Blind. I love it, and read it fairly regularly. It is so sad.

Posts: 32 | Location: Provo, Utah, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several of Ray's stories whichmake me misty. One which always makes me sad (in the way that I almost hope it will end differently each time I read it) is "The Exiles". I hate to say goodbye to Poe, Bierce, et al...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post