New
Find
Notify
Tools

A.I.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
DanB;
I think the boy dies in the end of A.I., also. Surmise that he finally became human. Whereas Teddy....still was sitting up on the bed in the last scene, very much alive....

Hey, Dan...check out my Website, if you haven't. Finally got it running. Have some music on it. MP3 seems to run better than the RealPlayer. Need to change some of it, especially the long version of 'Rails'. It ain't the right one...in 2 spots...but will take care of that next week.
Also will add more Ray Bradbury photos next week.

go to:
www.catchaway.com

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great website, Nard! Congratulations!

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Megadittoes on the website! Way to go!

Everyone: treat yourselves to a tour. Great stuff.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,
Very cool site. Unfortunatly, since music has always been my biggest thing, I won't be able to listen to the sound files untill I replace my sound card, which was whiped out recently. But, the time will come, and the site isn't going anywhere soon.
The printing artwork process you described is fascinating. It kind of reminds me of a series of artwork made by John Cage- you seemed to indicate that some degree of indeterminacy was involved in the process... if I am not mistaken.
The Bradbury photos were also swell, especially the Waukegan ones- like looking into a bottle of Dandelion Wine, I suppose...

Yeah, I know it was outside of the point, but I kind of felt sorry for Teddy at the end of A.I. -left mechanical and sentient and kind of just sitting around forever. Unless, when David dies, the universe the aliens have constructed for him fades away, like everything else, taking Teddy with it...

Someone is knocking on my window,
So long,
Dan

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A.I. had its moments, but I thought D.A.R.Y.L. covered the same ground in a much more elegant and personal way.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AI really should have ended with the boy robot at the bottom of the Ocean, the sound of him praying to the blue fairy fading away. That whole 2000 years later deux ex machina ending just rubbed me the wrong way. Mind you, take off that bad ending, and I think it was an amazing film.

Favorite movie was, and still is Brazil. Especially in the context of a post 9-11 America it's something that everyone should learn from.

Blade Runner, of course, who can say anything bad about that director's cut? =)

Total Recall: cheesy, unnecessarily violent and gory with a quasi-intelligent mind job toward the end ... Paul Verhoven at his quintissential. Still by far the best major motion picture to do Sci Fi about Mars. =) Deliver me from Red Planet and Mission to Mars, please! God, PLEASE! =P

Another favorite Schwartzenegger movie: The Running Man. Completely different feel than the Bachmann book, passed off as yet another pointless action flick ... but DAMN if it didn't predict reality TV to a tee!

Of course, if you're on a Schwartenegger roll, you can't forget the Terminator series and Predator. Now, if we can only stop him from making any more Erasers or The 6th Days. *shivver*

Trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Posts: 5 | Location: Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trevize1138
\And what's wrong with THX1138?

Dark City...is really well done, tho Truman's World was similiar in the ending.

I, on the other hand, favored the 'extended' ending of A.I., tho I have friends who can't stand any of the movie.

I really like Barton Fink. The ending is perfect!

Did you know that Ray's, Something Wicked This Way Comes ...was pulled just before release, and redone with special effects and a whole new music score, by James Horner?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's so obvious how much older the kids are in the "spider" scene than the rest of the movie. They must have had to reshoot at a much later date. I wonder what the original sequence was...?

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I didn't notice that when I saw SWTWC a while back. I'll have to check it out sometime.
Nard, do you know who wrote the original score? Is it available at all? I kind of like the James Horner one, though. It works.

I love the director's cut of Blade Runner. What's the line... (paraphrase alert) "It's a shame she won't live. But then, who does?"
I haven't read Running Man. It's wierd- Stephen King, when he's at his best, is one of my favorites- but I've never really liked anything by Richard Bachmann. This made reading The Dark Half pretty interesting.

I saw DARYL when I was really young, and don't remember it too well. On that recommendation I should watch it again some time.

I've been in a few lengthy discussions about the end of A.I., and finally came to the conclusion that it wouldn't hold itself together very well any other way.
Nard- Barton Fink was Great! I love the Cohen Brothers' movies. They're so tightly constructed, right down to the dialogue and imagery, that they always reward repeated viewing. And their humor is somehow, amazingly, over-the-top and slyly underhanded at the same time- just like they warp traditional american genres in a way that is somehow a parody and an homage at the same time. And within this greater unity, there's a wide array- from the darker, existential stuff (Man Who Wasn't There) to the woozily stoned, surreal funhouse (Big Lebowski). Great Stuff, and I'm glad it came up and gave me the chance to blather about how much I like it.
So, do you think her head was in the box?

Dan

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Kinda Missed Harrison Ford's Narration In The Director's Cut Of Blade Runner. Nobody's Mentioned Director's Cut Of The Abyss. Hey, Does Anybody Remember "Johnny Soko's Flying Robot"?

Posts: 42 | Location: SACRAMENTO, CA. U.S.A. | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raintaster,
Was that the one that they showed on the scifi channel that was about 4+ hours and had the completely different ending? If so, I loved it! Regretably, I did not tape it. Can you purchase that extended version anywhere?

Dan

posted Hide Post
DanB: Was her head in the box (last scene In the movie, Barton Fink)
Answer: Absolutely. That's why, to me, it was so insane. Here Barton meets the "girl of his dreams" and what's up with him? Well, he's mentally wiped out, exhausted, physically a wreck, and carrying a box with a woman's head in it. This can't be more CRAZY! The movies the Cohen brothers make are brilliant.

The name of the fellow who composed the original score for Ray's "Something Wicked This Way Comes", was Georges Delerue. Click onto the site listed below, with info on Delerue, and Lo and Behold, at the bottom, titled, 'Delerue Sountrack Reviews' in a ghastly blue print, you will find... music for "Something Wicked This Way Comes". Click on that, it'll give you more info.

click on, or type into finder: http://www.shef.ac.uk/~cm1jwb/delerue.htm

posted Hide Post
DanB- I Don't Have Cable T.V. But That Sounds Like The One. It Had A Short Rerelease Run At The Theatres And Is Available On VHS, Probably DVD As Well.

Posts: 42 | Location: SACRAMENTO, CA. U.S.A. | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get The Abyss Special Edition (I think that's what it's called) on DVD and it's the full director's cut.

DVDs rule ass! =)

I neglected to mention THX1138 'cause it sucks! =P No, I just plumb forgot. That, and there are so many great sci fi movies I just didn't have time to mention them all.

Anybody see Fantastic Planet? I heard it was based off an Asimov work. Interesting animated flick, even though the music is dated (70s), but that kinda makes it cooler, too.

Speaking of great, dated movies with cheesy titles, how 'bout Forbidden Planet with Leslie Nielson? Monsters! Monsters from the id!

=)

Trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Posts: 5 | Location: Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trevize1138:

The Abyss...
...is the only motion picture in my lifetime, where, when I originally saw it at the local theater, I nearly freaked out, spaced out, (sorry for the '60's/'70's terminology) and almost fainted.... when that fellow descended and descended and descended and descended down down....down....
That did it!
To this day I don't know why it affected me so dramatically... The images just took me and off I went with the diver...

By the way, what's your take on Dark Star?