Ray Bradbury Forums
something wicked this way comes

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/6591095372

18 January 2005, 10:20 AM
babygirl
something wicked this way comes
hey any one willing to help the new person, i don't know what inspired bradbury to write this...
18 January 2005, 10:30 AM
Nard Kordell
''Something Wicked This Way Comes''...

...takes place in a city north of Chicago, called Waukegan, Illinois. But in the novel, Waukegan is called Green Town, Illinois. When Ray was very young, a carnival came thru town. And it was his experience with this carnival, and subsequent carnivals and carnival people, that led to the book, ''Something Wicked This Way Comes'', as well as many short stories, including the collection, ''The Illustrated Man''.

By the way, Welcome to the Ray Bradbury Website, babygirl...!!!!

20 January 2005, 09:28 AM
babygirl
ok thanks much! i'm doing a report on the connections between something wicked this way comes and ray bradbury's life, i've got two so far, i need twenty five, any others you can think of?
20 January 2005, 10:30 PM
Mr. Dark
Wow! Twenty five! Impressive. You may want to check forwards and afterwards Ray has written. He discusses some of these kinds of things in those.

Also see:

RAY BRADBURY: MASTER OF SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY. By Wendy Mass. Enslow Publishers, NJ. 2004.

CONVERSATIONS WITH RAY BRADBURY. Ed by Steven L. Aggelis. University Press of Mississippi, Jackson. 2004.

RAY BRADBURY: AN ILLUSTRATED LIFE: A JOURNEY TO FAR METAPHOR. By Jerry Weist. William Morrow, NY. 2002.

These may be good starting points for you.
21 January 2005, 04:19 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
... You may want to check forwards and afterwards Ray has written.

I wouldn't normally be so pedantic, but I think that's "forewords and afterwords". (I had to read the above sentence about four times before I got it!)

Phil

- Phil<br /> http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379
21 January 2005, 06:41 AM
Nard Kordell
philnic:

Yeah. Mr. Dark's phraseology at first read sounded 'backwards' to me. Come to think of it, 'forwards and backwards' are threewords, not fore.
21 January 2005, 07:27 AM
biplane1
Speaking of the book, "Conversations With Ray Bradbury" which I just picked up at Barnes and Noble, I was a little taken aback by the price. Ray's own works are usally in the $24-$29 range and this was $50 with tax and for a compiled collection of interviews conducted by various people over a period of years.

I am not faulting Steve for his obvious ton of work putting this collection together, but just was wondering.

But now a thought has crossed this aging mind. I can imagine that the book was printed in smaller quanities as opposed to Ray's works. And it would only be the Bradbury scholar or afficiando who would desire such a publication, therefore the higher price. Perhaps I have answered my own question!
21 January 2005, 12:11 PM
scarywarhol
Make sure you look at the "In his words" section of this site; he doesn't come out and say it, but he writes about many childhood events that have striking resemblences to Something Wicked This Way Comes.

"The drain of talent - pure talent - from one single department, Feature Animation, has been absolutely gut-wrenching in the past year. People are being asked to leave because management - meaning Michael Eisner - can't figure out what to do with them. That is not the fault of the talent... it's the fault of management." <br />�Roy E. Disney <br /><br />savedisney.com<br />for future generations
21 January 2005, 08:03 PM
Mr. Dark
Biplane. Mine was not nearly that much. I don't remember where I got it, but I got it new at about $35.00.

It is a university press, and, as you speculate, circulation numbers would not be as great as Ray's original works.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 01-21-2005).]
21 January 2005, 09:56 PM
lmskipper
biplane, I don't mean to bring you down, but Amazon.com has a brand new copy of the book for $13.60. Of course shipping and handling would add about $5 more, but that's still a bargain. I bought loads of books there this year for Christmas gifts and saved so much money. It's hard for me, because I love wandering through bookstores so much, but when I can get these great bargains, I can't pass them up. I also bought several CD's, DVD's and one computer game at Amazon this year, all much cheaper than in the stores.
22 January 2005, 12:04 AM
Mr. Dark
Certainly didn't mean to submit such a puzzler. Hope you are all doing well and that the new year is off to a great start.
22 January 2005, 05:10 AM
philnic
Not wishing to deflate biplane1 further, but Aggelis' book is almost identical to his PhD thesis, which has been available as a completely free PDF download!

Current weblinks to it are dead, but if anyone still wants a copy, I can email it to them.

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

- Phil<br /> http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379
22 January 2005, 08:34 AM
biplane1
Imskipper and philnic:

It was sort of an impulse thing. I was in Barnes and Noble and asked about it. They didn't have it on hand but would order it.

I have spent more on less important things. But, yes, I should have researched it a little bit further.

Thanks for the reminders as to where to research available books and items, and as you say, at a much better price.
22 January 2005, 09:28 AM
Mr. Dark
Biplane: Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm currently reading it and I have to say, it is worth $50.00!!!!
01 February 2005, 10:20 AM
babygirl
can someone please help me with these connections?!?!?