Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Help finding a story
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help finding a story
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for a story I read a long time ago (and in translation, back when I didn't speak English).

It was about a little town where people start disappearing after handling fake objects (a milk carton which looks like the real thing but the label is misspelled, etc.). Children disappear too but come back without remembering anything that happened to them. The implied explanation being of course fly-fishing.

For the life of me can't find the title or the story. Help?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 18 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say this ISN'T Bradbury. It sounds more like a Henry Kutter type of thing.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does sound rather Kuttnerish.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

Or Kuttner, even! Big Grin

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Does sound rather Kuttnerish.

Kuttnerish is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

Or Kuttner, even! Big Grin

You say potayto and I say potahto...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I'll look amongst those.

Weird though - I could have sworn that the only collection of sci-fi short stories I was able to lay my hand on in comi-censored USSR was Bradbury (of the home-retype variety, ever seen those? people were retyping whole books on typewriters and passing them around)

Posts: 2 | Registered: 18 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by litzo:
Thanks guys! I'll look amongst those.

Weird though - I could have sworn that the only collection of sci-fi short stories I was able to lay my hand on in comi-censored USSR was Bradbury (of the home-retype variety, ever seen those? people were retyping whole books on typewriters and passing them around)

Sadly,I recall those times in the early seventies when verboten, purple-inked Roneo'd copies from the Soviet regime used to land on my desk here in central London. MI6 were heavily on our backs. Tales of gulags and repression were not to be countered and I still have a copy somewhere in my desk. Ray Bradbury hit it spot-on. The brave authors of those pleas for help most probably "disappeared". Ray Bradbury had a point...

Posts: 64 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robertp:
MI6 were heavily on our backs.

Never heard of them; are they a level above MI5?

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MI5 (aka the Security Service, and most likely akin to your Homeland Security/FBI) is an intelligence agency dedicated to protecting the UK against national threats.

MI6 - possibly equivalent to the CIA - is our Secret Intelligence Service, whose remit is to gather intelligence OUTSIDE the UK in defence of our country against terrorist or foreign attacks.

"The name's Bond...James Bond"

NB We spell defence with a 'c' and not an 's'. Like it or lump it!

Posts: 64 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, now that robertp has revealed this information he will have to eat this message board and self-destruct.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, now that robertp has revealed this information he will have to eat this message board and self-destruct.

LOL!

posted Hide Post
quote:

S-P-A-M

Now you can destruct me yourself!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

S-P-A-M

Oooooh, you said a four-letter word!

posted Hide Post
quote:
S-P-A-M

No, that just sounds like a reasonable expression of a bizarre opinion. Now, if you were to turn it into a link to an New Zealand upholstery supplies company, I would wield my deputy sheriff's scalpel* in a trice!

*Mixed metaphor.

- Phil