Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    ray & the village

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ray & the village
 Login/Join

posted
If you have not seen the movie "The Village"
and don't want it spoiled, stop reading.

Does anyone remember a story that I believe was written by Ray Bradbury. It was about a
young boy who has spent all his life inside a
house with only his teacher for company. When the teacher dies he eventually makes his
way to the outside. When he climbs the fence
he finds the outside world. I believe it
ended with a couple of policeman talking about the boy smiling and happy, thinking he
was dead and that he was now in heaven. This
story left quite an impression on me as a young girl, and when I saw the movie it brought it back to mind. I wondered if the
M. Knight had read it. If you can tell me
the title and what book I sure would appreciate it.

Suzie

Posts: 2 | Location: Covington, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
> Does anyone remember a story that I believe was written by Ray Bradbury.

I remember: it is 'Jack-in-the-Box', written in 1947.

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can be found in "The October Country," and I imagine some of the other anthologies as well.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I know that book is
here somewhere!

Posts: 2 | Location: Covington, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There WAS a movie made of this?

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't believe Jack in the Box has ever been filmed, at least not legitimately crediting Ray's story.

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 02-22-2005).]

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Jack-in-the-Box" was never on "Ray Bradbury Theater"?

As for "The Village," the author of a book called "Running Out of Time" brought a lawsuit claiming the movie's story was too much like her book's. I don't know how successful this was.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was never on the Ray Bradbury Theater, unless it went by a different name.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post