Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    My love for Stephen King
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My love for Stephen King
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Stephen King once said, in very close to these words, that of three emotions which could be evoked in horror fiction, "The finest is terror. If I can't achieve terror, I try for horror. If I can't achieve horror, I'm not proud; I go for the gross-out."

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Stephen King's moderator comments that's the first time that theory has been brought to her attention!

i have to say im surprised by this, its not too hard to see that stephen king was probly picked on and bullied when he was a kid and possibly abused/molested.

Posts: 40 | Location: st.cloud, MN, USA | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re: Heinlein -- I've devoured his material because some of it is so brilliant. I haven't seen anyone here recommend my favorite of his so if you have any interest please try on THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS. Absolutely brilliant, hilarious, heartfelt, and a terrific political commentary for any time. Be warned, the ending brings me to tears every time.

One thing I feel about about Heinlein's stories, the above notwithstanding, is so many start out with such promise and then don't go anywhere, and the endings can be disappointing. I also haven't come to appreciate the Lazarus Long stories for the most part, so it's clearly a matter of personal taste.

Mike

Posts: 11 | Registered: 09 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amendment to my previous post. I just realized a number of above posts were by Mycroft. Is it possible you chose your user name based on Mike in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress?

Mike D

posted Hide Post
nah, its sherlock holmes' brother. sorry

[This message has been edited by Mycroft (edited 12-09-2004).]

Posts: 40 | Location: st.cloud, MN, USA | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, that makes sense. That's where Mike's name came from as well.

posted Hide Post
jiminut:

My name, however, IS based on Heinline's book. Have you read "The Past Through Tomorrow'?

Posts: 48 | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Stephen King books. Yes innocent people die in them but that's what makes the story. It's kind of like movies you watch usually someone innocent dies but that's just part of it. I think Stephen king is a great writer. The only thing I don't particularly like is that in some books he drags on a little to much about one thing.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi all

I would just like to say that i have almost every peice of literature by stephen king and while most is still unread (as i am trying to read all before attempting the dark towers lot), i have to say that while the Shining is a classic and fantastic story and one of my faves , you should read Desperation (of which one of the main characters, also appears in Rose Madder - she seems to have a rough deal in life experiences!). This is a fantastic book, and since i usually dislike endings in any kind of book, this book really hit a nerve and i loved every inch!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 22 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post