Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favorite 'obscure' story
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite 'obscure' story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Any other "Jack in the Box" fans out there? Not sure if this is obsure enough. It's in October Country.

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a wonderful story! This is one of Bradbury's short stories that, when you've finished, you feel like you've just read a novel.
Amazing.
Obscure, though? I have trouble defining just what an obscure Bradbury story is. Maybe one that is hard to find, not in print any more; or maybe just not as well known to the general reading public? If the latter, then I agree this one could be considered obscure.

Say, where the heck have you been, BH?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I started this thread, I meant 'obscure' as in not one of the better-known 'classic' stories - eg. 'Skeleton', 'Sound of thunder', 'All summer ...', 'Kaleidoscope', 'The pedestrian' ... etc etc.
Of course I know categorising stories in that way is highly subjective (One man's obscurity is another man's classic), but I just meant stories that are clearly 'lesser-known'.

I absolutely LOVE 'Jack in the box' as well - one of those stories that draw you completely into its own self-contained world.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about "The Blue Bottle"?
"Heavy-Set" is another one; one I find almost too moving.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B-II, you're really putting your finger on some of my favourites!
I absolutely love 'The blue bottle'. I even have a beautiful antique smoky-blue glass bottle on my bookshelf. If I wasn't technologically challenged I'd post a photo.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oz, me too on both it being one of my favorite stories & having a blue bottle on the bookshelf. Mine is a small thick glassed dark blue ink bottle very old. It is of the variety that fit into the old time school desks made of hardwood and wrought iron.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite story was the first one I read
that is "All Summer In A Day" . Cool Wink

Posts: 9 | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Mr. Dark:

I LOVE the story "Tomorrow's Child"!

The best I remember it after 20 years:

"They had not intended to give birth to a small blue pyramid" has gotta be one of the best literary first lines in history. I've gotten many quiet laughs to myself from remembering that one for years.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three of my favourites, which I don't think have been mentioned yet are :-

The Murderer
The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl
The Watchful Poker Chip of H Matisse

'The Murderer' is amazing. It predicts the mobile phone and its impact on society.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a total fan of Jack in the Box!!! What a great and sad story about a controlling mother trying to protect her child from the dangers of the world. I love it so.

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are great stories, but if rules are made to be observed, no story which appeared in either of the 100 stories collections should count as "obscure."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK Dandelion. How about the story, "Thunder in the Morning" from Driving Blind?

That story is bizarre and gives me the creeps. I have no idea what was up with the creature that got sucked into the street sweeper machine.

Anyone else ever read that story?

posted Hide Post
Not truly "obscure" in the realm of Bradburian significance, though rare to actually have available for reading (which I am presently doing): "The Fireman"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I read that one. It's a trip.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brailing II,

I'm sorry I'm just re-reading this thread and didn't catch your question.

I've been absent from the board, mostly due to my job being hectic and my children and wife taking up more and more time on the home computer.

Thanks for remembering me. I hope to be a more frequent poster here. I must have picked out a cool screen name if a few of you remember me.

Best Regards. Hopefully I'll be able to locate Tomorrows child since I've never read it before.