Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Short story title

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short story title
 Login/Join

posted
I wonder if anyone knows the title of a short story I read several years ago that I'm fairly certain was by Ray Bradbury. The story involved the a futuristic house that was entirely automated going through its programmed functions after the world had been destroyed in a nuclear holocaust. The house was in shambles; the different sections of the story were separated by the hours that passed. I remember the house would say "Tick tock, seven o'clock" or something for each hour, and there were little robotic mice that would clean up anything that fell on the floor. In the end the house collapsed... I thought it was a very cool story. Any thoughts?

Squeak yourself.

Posts: 4 | Location: Hew | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"There Will Come Soft Rains" (In The Martian Chronicles)

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also in, THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY, Ray Bradbury. Alfred A. Knopf, NY. 1980.

Great story.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is so it. Thank you very much. Big Grin

Squeak yourself.

Posts: 4 | Location: Hew | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello again, I have another short story in mind. I didn't read this one myself but I know a little about it. There's this couple vacationing someplace like South America, and while they are there's a nuclear war and civilization gets destroyed. Everything starts over and is primitive, and at the end the guy slaps a piece of meat to get flies off of it so he can see it. Something like that. That was a terrible description, but does it ring any bells?

Squeak yourself.

posted Hide Post
The story is "And the Rock Cried Out." You can find it in two in-print collections: THE VINTAGE BRADBURY (a trade paperback) and last year's collection BRADBURY STORIES, published by William Morrow (available now in trade paperback as well as hardcover).

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I've never read that one.

About a year ago I found Vintage Bradbury at a thrift store for a dollar and bought another book instead. I went back a few days later and it was gone. I hate when that happens.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 50s or early 60s, Ray developed a screenplay of And The Rock Cried Out for the British Film director Carol Reed. I have it on good authority that Ray is currently revising the screenplay for publication.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, for the title and the collection it's in. I've reserved a copy at the library and can't wait to read it. =)

Squeak yourself.

posted Hide Post
Phil,

Sorry for the intrusion, But I know that I asked somewhere else in the board if you lived anywhere near Kent? I haven't been to find if you were to answer my query. Can you do it again if you had? Thanks.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane,
I think we can consider philnic a Brummie now. See the posts under "so, Where y'all from" on the old board...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Phil,

Sorry for the intrusion, But I know that I asked somewhere else in the board if you lived anywhere near Kent?

biplane1,

By British standards, no, I don't live near Kent - it's a three-hour drive from here. (By American standards, that's probably just around the corner...)

However, I originally hail from somewhere a bit closer, and I do pass through Kent several times a year on my way to France. I will be doing this again in about four weeks from now.

Why do you ask? Is there something I can do for you there?

P.S. Braling II is right, I am now more or less an adopted Brummie. Fortunately, however, I have not picked up the local accent!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post