New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Ravine
 Login/Join

posted
Hello

I remember reading a short story in one of the collections years and years ago, told in the second person, about a young boy who goes looking for his brother in the Ravine on a summer afternoon - something almost gets him before he finds his brother. It has really stuck with me - Ive always thought it to be almost a precursor for Stephen Kings IT (not that i am comparing them as writers!!)

Anyway, does anyone know what collection this story was originally published in? I have been looking for years and haven't found it yet

Thanks, Christian

Posts: 4 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know its in Dandelion Wine where they go berry picking and one of the brothers senses a mysterious presence encompassing the whole forest, later though in the book the mom and brother do go looking for the older brother in the ravine, but the fear at that time in the story is from the lonely one, someone killing women periodically in the area. That was creepy. Not sure if those particular ones are in a collection, may be though.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robot Lincoln,
Your description is exactly right.

Christian,
I�m about twelve hours away from having the book in my hands. When I can get to it I should be able to give you an exact location in the book you can refer to. Please check back later. I�ll be sure to post my conclusions.

Please note that this board is the old, relatively unused Ray Bradbury board. You may wish to visit the newer more active one at: https://raybradburyboard.com/eve?cdra=Y&s=8881014801

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 03-17-2006).]

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"You may wish to visit the newer more active one"

Noooo!!! Don't do it. It's a mess over there, in a constant state of disarray and you're likely to get konked on the head by falling debris. Not to mention... the herd of wild Buffalo that stampede through there on a regular basis with only a ground-shaking moment's notice. That's what Chapter 31 meant by "more active". It's an old childish game we play, trying to talk people into going over there, then we laugh our faces sore as they get konked on the head and stampeded. It's much safer here.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had the most vivid flash of Jumanji when you said that, grasstains. Including sound! Thanks Chapter31, hope your having a good St. Patricks Day, er ah, night. I absolutely love that book so much Dandelion Wine, just read it a few months back so it was fresh. I enjoyed the Irish poetry on the other bus. Hey didja see my post over there about the book I just received on Waukegan?

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 03-17-2006).]

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
phenethylamine/Christian,
I believe the passage you are referring to is in �Dandelion Wine�. Depending on what edition you have it starts on either page 26 or page 39 and begins with, �Grandfather walked��

�Dandelion Wine� is not a collection but a novel (and you�ve been searching in the collections, right?) and unfortunately, Ray Bradbury chose not to give the chapters numbers or names so it�s difficult sometimes to refer to specific sections in the book. Hope the above information helps you find the passage you�re looking for.

Robot Lincoln,
Yes. The book sounds terrific. I envy you.

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 03-18-2006).]

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chapter. It is really good, the pictures are just great of the town during that era of Ray's. I have a friend that recently went there and he said its still like a time warp, like going back to an earlier simpler slower time. I'm really looking forward to going alot. Are you planning on attending any of the festivities? Oh I almost forgot, I ordered a topographical map of Waukegan. Its interesting because there, jutting right through the middle of the town is of course, The Ravine. Just thinking about going there gives me the chills in a way. Like being able to magically open the book and stroll right into it and "be there". I found out its only 5.5 hours drive from here.

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 03-19-2006).]

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Using Google Earth, or any other such service, you can get a satellite view of Waukegan and clearly see the ravine. Buried somewhere on this board is the address of Brabdury's home and you can zoom on that as well. Doesn't replace actually going there and walking the streets but until you get the chance, it'll do. It'll do.

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all - I will try and track down a copy of Dandelion Wine. Though I am sure I saw this story as a stand alone short story in a collection. But as there are so many anthology/best of/recollections out there its possible that what I read was a small release run or something of the like.

And I have checked out the other site, even bagged me a buffalo...;-)

Posts: 4 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, pterran, I will check it out. Phen, I think several Dandelion Wine stories are in collections, just not sure about that one, but it must be if you remember it being in a collection. Theres a neat website listing all of Rays short stories and what collections or books they are in. Not sure on the address, I think its either posted on this board somewhere or the new site. If anyone knows, please help because I forgot to bookmark that and it was a helpful resource.

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
phenethylamine,
You�re right. The story is called �The Night� and it is in the collection called �The Stories Of Ray Bradbury� (Knopth, 1980), is in the second person and was originally published in �Weird Tales�, July, 1946.