Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Ray's favorite word

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's favorite word
 Login/Join

posted
BiPlane, I am in the middle of reading I Sing The Body Electric. Once again, I keep running into the word "murmur" throughout the book. Its beginning to be my favorite word, and yet I don't know why exactly. Maybe, it has connotations with mystery and words spoken low that you must listen closely to. Has anyone ever asked Ray what his favorite word is? I am curious. Could you ask him the next time you speak to him? Greatly appreciated!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
From what Ray has said to me in person over the years - I would have to say "JOY" is one of his favorite words.
Patricia

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Ray’s favorite word is an expletive. “All local news is EXPLETIVE.” “All the new science fiction films are EXPLETIVE.” It’s interesting to me that someone who can express themselves so well chooses to use one word to describe the things he doesn’t like. Why waste language on EXPLETIVE?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PatR, I've heard that before along with relish, cherish, love. I find it a little odd to me that the word "murmur" crops up over and over in his stories, maybe not all of them but so many that I find it more than coincidental. What I meant by favorite word is from the standpoint of word usage in the writing itself. What word is his favorite word to work with, for sound, syllable, mystery, what it evokes, and how its spelled. He may have a favorite working word and not even realise it. It may be in his subconscious mind, or not.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post