Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    regarding Fahrenheit 451

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

regarding Fahrenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
Just read this and was really struck by his illustrations of psychological distancing/ alienation from other people, base pop culture and eventual breakthrough of Human Responses in the protagonist; to the extent of Conversion to a total new mindset. Wow! I recommend Humanity:A Moral History of the Twentieth Century, by Jonathan Glover for fleshing out of some of these ideas. I welcome all feedback. Thanks, Tony

Posts: 3 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonyw

I've read scant the writings of Jonathan Glover. But what I have read...his quest to figure out the moral implications of man's inhumanity against man...seems too much of an ocean to drink without a hold of "truth". I am sure there are many things that have applications to Fahrenheit 451 and comparisons of ideas. I surely would have to read his stuff in depth. But Glover seems to me, at this point, that he thinks the Twentieth Century, with all its information of wars and brutality, is where we have a good opportunity to figure out the 'Why?'

Glover questions Moral law, as if it is something that no longer has the validity than it once had. To this I look around myself at what is happening ...in the younger society, let's say...and I see a loud media voice saying Moral Law is dead.

To cut to the chase, I think Christ's remark on what societal life would be like when he returns, pretty much says it all. It wouldn't be any different that in the days of Noah.... which is to say, it's the same old stuff. Immanuel Kants remark on what drives him...."the starry heavens above and the moral law within..." is a great reality....with a lot of truth. But I think Glover questions it, and that is a problem to understanding inhumanity...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, it was great to hear from you. I don't Glover questioned Moral Law himself but saw it's hold with ordinary people weakening. Kant, great, treating people as ends in themselves and not as means. Today's younger generation are pretty scary if I'm reading them well in general. As for Truth, I'm going to see what a certain William James has to say on that subject. Good tyo hear from you, Tony

Posts: 3 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post