Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    T0P•TEN•T0MES

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T0P•TEN•T0MES
 Login/Join

posted
Yes, I know 'tomes' means a volume,
in fact a large learned volume of a book,
but...what else would go with something
sounding like Top-Ten-Tunes?

SELECT YOUR
TOP TEN FAVORITE STORIES/NOVELS
by Ray Bradbury

(thought of Top 20)...but what the heck, maybe more
would be inclined in jotting down the Top 10.)

My Personal List of TOP 10 favorite Bradbury stories:

1~ Death and the Maiden
2~ The Scythe
3~ The April Witch
4~ The Tombling Day
5~ The Martian Chronicles 2004-2005/The Naming of Names
6~ Embroidery
7~ The Women
8~ The Illustrated Woman
9 ~The Rocket Man
10~The Invisible Boy

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tough task to choose a total of just ten titles:
Not necessarily in preferential order, here goes...

1> Sound of Thunder
2> Anthem Sprinters
3> The Veldt
4> Big Black and White Game
5> Fog Horn
6> Drummer Boy of Shiloh
7> Pedestrian
8> The Murderer
9> Usher II
10> All Summer in a Day

Yet,...so many others!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Tough task to choose a total of just ten titles...Yet,...so many others!

That's exactly why I must sit this one out.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will post an instinctive top 10...then regret it, and probably come back with a more considered top 10.

1. The Lake
2. The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl
3. The Crowd
4. Fahrenheit 451
5. A Sound of Thunder
6. The Great Wide World Over There
7. The Scythe
8. The Playground
9. Emissary
10. The Veldt

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I will post an instinctive top 10...then regret it, and probably come back with a more considered top 10.

Throw up in the morning, clean up in the afternoon!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed. I'm already regretting my omission of "The Utterly Perfect Murder" and "Gotcha".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Night Call, Collect
2. The April Witch
3. The Great Wide World over There
4. A Piece of Wood
5. Frost and Fire
6. The Gift
7. The Rocket Man
8. The Wonderful IceCream Suit
9. The Inspired Chicken Motel
10. The Naming of Names
(from The Martian Chronicles)
The order is up for dispute.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
4. A Piece of Wood

Have you seen the short film? It was made by the same folks who made Chrysalis.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Okay, I've made I list. I couldn't stop at ten. I just couldn't. Sorry.

1. Frost and Fire
2. Gotcha!
3. The Small Assassin
4. The October Game
5. A Sound of Thunder
6. The Swan
7. The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair
8. And the Rock Cried Out
9. There Will Come Soft Rains
10. The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl
11. The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit
12. The Jar
13. The Anthem Sprinters
14. The Burning Man
15. The Drummer Boy of Shiloh
16. The Better Part of Wisdom
17. The Pumpernickel
18. The Whole Town’s Sleeping
19. Lafayette, Farewell
20. The Long Rain

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A list like this is always going to be badly flawed. I just wanted to say that I agree that "The Great Wide World Over There" is worthy.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've just began reading most of Ray Bradbury's work, so my list is mostly composed of Novels.

1. Death Is A Lonely Business
2. A Graveyard For Lunatics
3. Let's All Kill Constance
4. Fahrenheit 451
5. Dandelion Wine
6. Something Wicked This Way Comes
7. A Sound Of Thunder
8. R is for Rocket
9. I Sing The Body Electric!
10. The Martian Chronicles

"Ever wonder why the Japanese make a "nyeh" sound when a cat obviously "Meows"?"

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
...2. Gotcha!
...7. The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair...

Hey douglasSP, did you know that "L&H Love Affair" has its origins in "Gotcha!"? In that when Bradbury started adapting "Gotcha!" for TV, he invented this meeting-at-a-fancy-dress-party-as-Stan-and-Ollie material which he subsequently spun off into a new short story/

- Phil

posted Hide Post
No, I had no idea there was a connection between "Gotcha!" and "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair"! Would never have guessed. Ever!

posted Hide Post
The TV episode is effectively a blend of the two stories. It sounds weird, but it works. (The episode is a bit strange, for reasons I can't quite pin down, but the script is quite good.) There is an explanation of Bradbury's process in the first issue of the New Ray Bradbury Review.

- Phil