Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Fav book: the Martian Chronicles?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fav book: the Martian Chronicles?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all! I am new at this but know what I am talking about when I say I love The martian Chronicles. Any others out there? Huh? Any?

"It was not the age that killed the man, it was the mind that took his life." Megan, S., 16

Posts: 4 | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love The Martian Chronicles, also. But I also love Farenheit 451 and Something Wicked This Way Comes. These three, my Bradbury troika, turned me into a lifelong reader and lover of ideas. These three books changed my life forever. Farenheit 451 turned me on first, but when I got through these other two, I was changed.

There are devotees to Dandelion Wine on this site. I read it back in HS, and hope to read it again soon. (I'm planning to read The Halloween Tree and Something Wicked This Way Comes between now and Halloween, though; so Dandelion Wine has been bumped a bit.)

I also love a lot of Bradbury's short stories.

If you're new to Bradbury, you have a lifetime of enjoyment ahead of you. Read through these postings and you'll begin to get a feel for the impact Bradbury's writing has on people.

It is more than just great writing. Perhaps it needs to be regulated.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've read most of his books filled with short stories of his, like the Illustrated Man, Quicker than the Eye, and the Toynbee Convector. My favorite short story is the Veldt.

I started reading his works after I went into 7th grade and read a short story of his for an assignment, have been reading his boks ever since.

"It was not the age that killed the man, it was the mind that took his life." Megan, S., 16

posted Hide Post
Damn right the Chronicles kick ass! Captain Nathaniel York is king, even though he got blasted.

Posts: 26 | Location: The Motherland | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, The Martian Chronicles is a great book. I particularly enjoy reading and re reading some of its stories such as:the earth men, the third expedition, and the moon be still as bright,night meeting ,and, the martian. I like the dry humour, the nonsense and the deep melancholy pervading those stories. I don't know which ones you or other readers like most and why. Can someone explain?
quote:
Originally posted by MartianLalo:
Hey all! I am new at this but know what I am talking about when I say I love The martian Chronicles. Any others out there? Huh? Any?

Posts: 1 | Location: france | Registered: 03 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to tell you that the martian chronicles changed my life!!!!!!! I love theeeeeem!!!! (oh by the way, i'm also new: hey to all);-)

Posts: 1 | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you two are new? Welcome then! I am practically new as well, its been a long time since I joined but I am all over most of the time. I love Bradbury's books, I'm reading the Golden Apples right now.

posted Hide Post
I loved that book as well. After i read Farenheit 451 my dad recomended The Martain Chronicles. It was so amazing!

btw i'm new too. Hey peeps!

"And on either side of the river was there a tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month; And the leaves of the tree were for the healling of the nations."

Posts: 6 | Location: Rexburg, Id, USA | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lily_m_demented:
I have to tell you that the martian chronicles changed my life!!!!!!! I love theeeeeem!!!! (oh by the way, i'm also new: hey to all);-)

In what way did this book change your life? I enjoyed this book as well, it was written beautifully--almost poetic.

~Keli Linda~

Posts: 32 | Location: San Diego, CA, US | Registered: 10 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm also a new to brad bury,my favourite is mars is heaven.i want to read more about his novels.who can give me some advice?

I'm a service man.

Posts: 8 | Location: Xi'an.He Nan pr.China | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a brief overview of SOME of his works -- taken from another section of this site:

Choosing a best would require more detailed knowledge of what you are looking for and what your criteria for "best" is.
AMONG his best novels, these would certainly be in the running:

FARENHEIT 451 -- Exemplary and powerful social criticism. High moral ground. Vivid characters. Wonderful pace. Dialogue that powerfully deals with the themes and fairly argues both sides of the issues at point. My first Bradbury reading.

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES -- Wonderful, touching story that evokes a powerful sense of nostalgia. Covers several fundamental themes of human longing and redemption. Again, wonderful, rich characters that have individual humanity AND that stand as metaphors or archetypes of different human characteristics.

THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES -- Amazing sequence of stories showing the colonization of Mars by man. Religious and sociological themes abound. The writing is probably the most poetic in science fiction. Great series of stories -- each looking at a possible Martian history and the interaction of a variety of humans with that ancient land and culture. A great read.

DANDELION WINE -- Although (in my humble opinion) not science fiction, this novel is felt by many of his readers to be his very best for its evocation of a nostalgic period of americana. Wonderful stories, great characters, amazingly poetic prose.

Among the stories, my favorites include:

Skeleton
The Pedestian
The Dwarf
The Blue Bottle
All Summer in a Day
A Sound of Thunder
The Veldt
Kaleidoscope
The Long Rain
The Rocket Man
Zero Hour
The Small Assassin
The Fog Horn
The April Witch
Fever Dream
Dark They Were, And Golden-Eyed
The Homecoming
The Coffin
There Will Come Soft Rains
Mars is Heaven
Uncle Einar
The Playground
The Next in Line
The Jar
Frost and Fire
The October Game

This is just a scratches-the-surface kind of list. The question of best is a difficult one to answer, because in literature "best" is partly a subjective reaction to a work of literature.

But, perhaps a starting point.

P.S. When you ask what MOST would consider to be his best novel, based on assignments in classrooms and controversy generated, I would have to guess Farenheit 451 would hold that distinction. But, again, "best" is not necessarily a democratic term, per se. This is the most assigned and the most controversial novel. I think it may be his best. But, what do I know?

So again, the question is, "best" at what?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
martian chronicles was to say politely off the
chain!!! Coming from a Christian standpoint i really appreciated the way RB focused on how religous beliefs weren't meant to overide science or vice versa. That they were meant to enhance each other. I also think that in that story he was saying how that the only infinate knowledge belongs to God, not to man and if we try to make it that way, we will eventually destroy ourselves.
peace out,
the muse

Posts: 8 | Location: california | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post