Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Questions
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I think Tom Cruise is often under-rated as an actor BECAUSE he is so good-looking. Thought he was great in "Minority Report", "The Last Samurai" and in his most recent movie "Collateral".

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 09-12-2004).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

I agree that Cruise is a terrific actor. Megadittoes on his work in Minority Report but I'm afraid we part ways on The Last Samurai. Then again, it could be because I didn't enjoy the movie and it marred my judgement on his acting. I still look forward to seeing Collateral. Yes, he's an incredibly handsome man that undermines the perception of his talent. But, mark my words, I think he'll go down as one of the better actors of our time. No, not a Cary Grant or Clark Gable, but still, an original.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Translator-

I didn't get very far into the Lem translation you sent me.

We had a terrible fire in the apartments. I'm okay and 'we' didn't lose anything, but then again 'we' lost everything.

My sister-in-law and nephew lost everything. My step-daughter and grandaughter lost about half to 3/4 of their belongings. One of my dearest friends lost everything also.

I've way too much work to do to be sitting here now.

I'm one who has managed to elude real tragedy my whole life and this is the toughest thing I've ever dealt with. To see destruction and personal loss on this scale, this magnitude and just how quick the devastation blew thru here is crushing.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grasstains,

I know it's trite, but at least everyone is okay. Things can be replaced; no small consolation to people who lose it all, though. My prayers are with you and yours.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How sad! Hope everything was insured!

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains: This must be it!?
http://www.worldofweb.com/fire/PressRelease.cfm?PressReleaseID=323

You are safe! Makes it the best and the worst in one day!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, there's not much to do right now while we're waiting for the investigators to finish, after which they may allow us back in to see if we can salvage anything.

Good job Nard, but that's not the one. here it is.
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/10727927p-11646382c.html

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto Korby's sentiments.
Glad you're ok.
This is something we fear where I live being surrounded by trees and having a tiny (but dedicated and effective) volunteer fire dept.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey Grasstains,
I'm at a loss of words; I hope you and your family gets through all this. No one was physically hurt, and that is key. Imagine how big a tragedy it could have been, but it wasn't. Material things can be replaced. You and your family are lucky in your bad luck. I hope everything goes well.
Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about this, grasstains. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad, as othes said, that at least everyone made it out safe and sound.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the emotional support and attempts to steer me in a positive direction. There's been alot of long faces around here lately and it's time to "chin-up".

There has been some good. Yesterday a fireman brought one my sister-in-law's cats out of her apartment. It was huddled against a wall, one of the few places left untouched by the fire. At first we all thought it was dead, but when he said it was alive a big cheer went up and most of us teared up, if not completely broke down. That cat had been in there through god knows what for 14 hours. A local newscrew caught the whole thing on camera and another, which was snoozing at the time, interviewed her directly afterward as she was thanking the firemen and saying how lucky she was while sobbing with the cat in her arms. We also saved some family photos which were hanging on the walls in large picture frames.

Thanks again guys, I love you all.

posted Hide Post
If I could sew, I know just what I'd make for the poor, frightened wee creature...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II-

What's that? What you would sew, that is.

Wed. they will allow us, two at a time, to go into the apts. to salvage what we can, but for a very short time(approx. 30 minutes) and we must wear hard hats. We will form a line to pass items down the stairways.

An arson investigation was begun on Tuesday.

posted Hide Post
Why, pajamas, of course!

posted Hide Post
We found the other cat, ALIVE!!!

Five days in the burned out skeletal remains of the building, and she survived.