Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    High School Students
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High School Students
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
HA HA....you guys are funny...um..ah...i agree...nobody in lemont reads books for fun...seriously ..were too busy having *cough* FUN *cough*....if you know what i mean....lol

Posts: 6 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It means you're missing out on a lot.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya it most definitly means your missing out on alot. I go to lemont and i love to read... Im not one of those geeky book worm kids either... Except im really not "from" lemont exactly, I live in unincorperated Downers Grove, across the big bridge. But anyway reading is probably one of the best things that I started doing. I started doing it almost everynight a couple years ago and i havnt stopped yet, and i dont intend to any time soon. So kind of getting off that topic, I actually enjoyed Fahrenheit 451, i thought it was a greatly written book. I like books that make me think and this one was definitly one of them. It's actaually kind of amazing that i liked this book because it was asigned reading, and normally those are the ones that are not interesting at all.
I think those of us lemont studints arent responding because they might be a little intimidated by how well written the other members have posted. Thats my story.......

[This message has been edited by glassjef (edited 09-02-2004).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, how I envy your collection, Philnic!

And to the students - to reword Korby's comment - "For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are those 'It might have been.'"
--John Greenleaf Whittier

grasstains is right - this is great compared to the "Moore months." Let's see if we can't help these kids a bit.

Posts: 32 | Location: Provo, Utah, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been to Lemont, Illinois many times. It's sometimes called "The Village of Churches," or some such thing. As you drive into town from the north, you come up over a hill overlooking the town and the first thing you notice is the large number of church steeples scattered all over town. It's a lovely little town, and I'm glad to see my "neighbors" jumping on-line. At least they're not spewing hate and making unfounded remarks about Ray, like we experienced a couple of months ago. And for the most part, I can tell lots of them really did read the book, unlike some students who pop in here occasionally and try to get us to do their homework. These kids may be just doing this for an assignment, but at least they read the book and seem to be giving it some thought. Kudos, guys!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahh, so it was Lemont - I guessed wrong (someone, somewhere gave me the impression that these were Notre Dame students. But I did guess that they were doing this for marks. Kudos to me! (to them as well, however, from now on, please refrain from idiotic questions such as "do you think FH451 is a good book or not?" because if I was your teacher, I'd fail you straight off.
Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed a lot of the posts! I'm starting a new semester and a new job right now and time is just really tight. This is SOOOOO much better than the Moore fiasco. Some of these kids are just here for an assignment (but not a bad assignment, right? To do three replies to a Bradbury post?); but some of them seem to really raise some interesting questions. I've never really thought about the "would Montag have done this if he had had a truly loving relationship with Mildred?". That is a fascinating question.

A lot of the other posts have been interesting. It's been fun to see the thoughts of kids "doing" Bradbury for the first time. F451 was my first Bradbury book, and it turned me on to a whole new world.

I hope they continue to post, and that they go from F451 to other Bradbury to classic sci-fi, literature, religion/philosophy, etc. That was my path -- as begun with a 9th grade reading (under duress, as a friend persistently pushed me to read it) F451.

I have enjoyed reading the posts and discussions!!

My lack of interaction is not a reflection of my arrogance or anything. I am totally swamped. Maybe I can respond to some of these this weekend, and we'll see if any come back next week.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

I hope you don't think I was suggesting you're arrogant.

"I LOVE YOU, MAAAN."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, Phil. Very colorful. Just what I had in mind.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grasstains -- I didn't take it personally. I've enjoyed the reading, and wish I had more time to wade in and participate.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you think we'll be seeing more of them after their assignment. I hope we do, it was nice having them around.

Funny thing. We had Translator using his superior intellect trying to figure out what school they were from. And me using my uncanny Sherlock Holmes-like powers of deduction to figure out who their teacher was. AND WE WERE BOTH WRONG!

I had em' pegged as Imskipper's students, as she's from Illinois. I tried to keep her name out of it ealier in the thread when I spelled her name backwards.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 09-04-2004).]

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Grasstains,
I guess my intellect isn't as superior as everyone here undoubtedly thinks. However, good guess on Imskipper; though I would have guessed the "teacher" - Pabilissman.
Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's so nice to know you're thinking of me, but my students are only in seventh grade and just a few days into the school year. These seem to be high school students, and it sounds like they started a bit sooner than we did. I just found out though, that one of my classes this year is extremely small (12) and extremely gifted, so I am actually thinking of tackling this novel with them. This will be my first time teaching it, and I am thrilled! LLLLLLmskipper (not Imskipper)

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who-all heard "A Prairie Home Companion" this week? The "News from Lake Wobegon" was about a carnival and freak show, and "Guy Noir" met a woman who took up sword swallowing in preference to teaching 7th Grade English!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll keep that in mind, the next time I get frustrated by my job!!