Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the poet
 Login/Join

posted
My favourite short story is "The one who waits". sorry, I don't have the english name, I read it in french. For me Bradbury is a poet and science fiction is just a way to lead people read poetry. If you can give me your feeling about it (and the english name of the short story)

Posts: 4 | Location: France, Paris | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but if you give us some of the plot, we may be able to figure it out . . . unless there are some French speakers here who might know off hand?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will try to resume the plot (my english is very poor) : a rocket arrives in a planet. There's a thing in a hole (puit) who takes posession of people's soul before they die. At the end everyone is dead and the thing keeps waiting a new event to come

Posts: 4 | Location: France, Paris | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure your English is better than my French. I don't recognize the story from this description. What collection is it in? Do you have it in a Bradbury collection or a short story anthology?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the collection, I read it a long time ago and I loved it so much that I recopied it... I should have bought it immediatly ! It's not so important anyway. I'm happy to read some comments of Ray Bradbury's fan, even if it's hard sometimes for me to understand of what short story people are talking about. have you got a book, a kind of biography or an essay about his work to advice me?

posted Hide Post
Betty,
I wonder if the story you're referring is "The One Who Waits" in the collection "THE MACHINERIES OF JOY" or "LES MACHINES A BONHEUR" (Denoel).

Posts: 25 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your answer, I also think it's the right reference...

posted Hide Post
There is an short short story in "The Martian Chronicles" called "The One Who Waits." Also, I agree. Bradbury is an amazing prose artist and a poet. I am a poet myself and I wish to write as well as he does.

Merci

Posts: 1 | Location: Tulsa, ok, USA | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post