Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wicked Quotes
 Login/Join

posted
Something Wicked...is full of interesting word choices and phrasing of words. I love how Ray writes. He is so subtle, yet he evokes so much meaning in just a word or two.

"His voice, Will thought, I never noticed, It's the same color as his hair."

Big Brother is always watching-Dr. T.J. Eckleburg out!

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definately agree Ray Bradbury uses his words very well. I love how he writes and the way he uses his wording.D. Smiler

Posts: 17 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree. Bradbury has a unique way of writing that I've never read anything like before. I especially love the way he compares Jim and Will.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite use of words so far in Something Wicked This Way comes is at the begining of chapter 32.

"At Dawn, a juggernaut of thunder wheeled over the stony heavens..."

Posts: 14 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally don't like the way that Bradbury wrote this book. It is very confusing and a little hard to follow.

A salamader flicked the hedge, there went Jim.

What is this really supposed to mean, to me it is just gibberish.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the quote about his hair too....that one really caught my attention and I thought about it for a while.

"They looked back a last time at the shadows of rain crying on the windows inside the parlor...."
I like how it talks about rain crying.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He does write very different than most authors. I don't like it as well because you always have to guess who's talking in his book because it bounces back so many times. That is what get confusing to me, but I do like what he's writing about.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWTWC:
I personally don't like the way that Bradbury wrote this book. It is very confusing and a little hard to follow.

A salamader flicked the hedge, there went Jim.

What is this really supposed to mean, to me it is just gibberish.

I think its a talented way to write and I give bradbury props. He's talented and he writes almost in a poetic way....maybe if one used their imagination they could enjoy the book.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury does have an original way of writing.Its so original that it gets confusing. Even though this book is confusing its easy to appreciate the way it is written. Confused

Posts: 4 | Location: scool | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ophelia:
Something Wicked...is full of interesting word choices and phrasing of words. I love how Ray writes. He is so subtle, yet he evokes so much meaning in just a word or two.

"His voice, Will thought, I never noticed, It's the same color as his hair."
I like how he describes Mr. Dark. He describes his tatoos with great detail i can really picture what he would look like if i were to see him in real life.
"the hand stared back at him"

Posts: 19 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the way that Bradbury uses his colorful language. It really gives us a chance to visualize everything better. I like how he calls the tattooed man an 'illustrated' man. Since this book talks so much about the carnival then it would be a lot more fun reading with descriptive words.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I honestly have a hard time following the way he writes. He switches thing up way to much for me. I can't keep it all staight.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that rays language is colorful, but I would not say i like the way he uses it. I think that sometimes, for a reader who does not read this type of literature, it can be very difficult to follow. I am coming from a world of John Grisham and Tom Clancy and Bradburys writing is very hard for me to follow.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Ray's writing is considered hard, I think it's partly a matter of looking for the wrong thing. Bradbury speaks to the human condition in stories that appear alarmingly simple. But because of the poetry of his language and the use of metaphors and symbols in his writing; to get the full benefit of it, you have to think creatively. Thoreau wrote (In the Reading chapter in Walden) that a book must be read as carefully as it was written. Bradbury's work rewards reflection, thinking and paying attention. Bradbury's storytelling is great, but the poetry of the language is a pleasure ot read in and of itself! Grisham is just there to keep a narrative on task and move the story along quickly and compellingly; and that's good; but he's no Bradbury. Bradbury has something to say.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree I do like the way that he writes, but I find it very confusing and sometimes hard to follow I have to read things over a few times to understand what he is trying to say.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post