Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting out.
 Login/Join

posted
Im looking to get into Ray's Books, being a big Sci-Fi person myself, any reccomended first Readings?

Posts: 2 | Location: Canberra Australia | Registered: 07 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First of all, Defcon, understand that Bradbury isn't your typical sci-fi writer. That is, he doesn't provide any science at all. Space is his metaphor, rockets are vehicles for his ideas.

But what ideas they are!

The heart of his space stories is, of course, The Martian Chronicles. Again, you'll find little resemblance to modern sci-fi within its pages. It's a story of mankind, and the dangers of letting our brains get ahead of our hearts. Or, from another collection, try "The Golden Apples of the Sun" for a prime Bradbury space story.

For future fiction, pick up Fahrenheit 451. No science here either, but the mechanical hounds are great. . . .

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll look that one up, thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: Canberra Australia | Registered: 07 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Defcon, I cannot recommend _Something Wicked This Way Comes_ more highly, as a magical, amazing fantasy novel (and I DON'T read much science fiction or fantasy beyond Bradbury and Harlan Ellison).

For short story collections, I would recommend starting off with either _Long After Midnight_ or _I Sing the Body Electric!_.

Posts: 3 | Location: Portland, Oregon, USA | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post