Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Ray Bradbury book do you like most?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Ray Bradbury book do you like most?
 Login/Join

posted
Do you have a favorite Bradbury story? Mine is Hail and Fairwell. I would like to hear from all of you so please answer!

Posts: 3 | Location: Taylor,MI,48180 | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THERE WILL COME SOFT RAINS is a masterpiece- A work of art which proves beyond any doubt that the artist has mastered his craft and developed his own unique style.

I think SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES also qualifies as a masterpiece.

FAHRENHEIT 451 is my favorite book ever, but I think SOMETHING WICKED is a "better" book because not one word is wasted and the tempo of his prose doesn't miss a beat. Where F-451's prose seems to stumble in a few places(first 30-40 pages) and at times he seems to be trying too hard to establish a tempo(prose), but once that tempo IS established it's a beautiful thing. A lot of people have a hard time falling in step with his march those first 40ish pages and end up getting trampled under foot.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always loved the collection The Illustrated Man, Kaleidescope being my favorite.
Next to the Veldt. I also like A Medicine For Melancholy. It is a great collection. Crysalis in S is for Space is another spellbinder. I must agree that Wicked is Wonderful. His more current work is very crisp also. Death is a Lonely Business has some great character development. His last collection of 100 is Fantastic. The older collection of 100 is Great, The Smiling People was especially creepy.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
uncle...Is that you?

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something Wicked this Way comes would have to be my favorite because I am really into horror stories. It is a horror but not enough to give you nightmares.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Laurel and Hardy Affair" is one of my favorites and Ray indicated that it was autobiographical as I had always wondered about and Sam Weller's book confirmed it.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well SWTWC is a really good one it is the only one that i have read so far, but he is keeping me very interested in what is going on and not many other authors have done that.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SO FAR...my favorite is a short story. I love "The Exiles." IT is so full of others of my favorite authors and their supposed conversations after book burning took over the world. I almost cried at the end when I read that the Earthmen burned the last of the books and there was no one left at all! I had an immediate feeling of catharsis...I was so refreshed!

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only read two of his stories. Something Wicked and A Sound of Thunder. Personally i like A Sound of Thunder better. I thought it was a lot more interesting and easier to read.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F451 and The Illustrated Man look really interesting to read. But I would have to say that I really enjoy SWTWC. I also read the short story A Sound of Thunder and I think I liked It more. There's just something fascinating about time travel. And to wonder where Ray comes up with so vivid dreams like that is amazing.

Kali

Posts: 15 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only read one of his stories SWTWC, but in class our teacher read part of the illustrated man and it sounded very interesting and sounded like something I would like to read. In class we also read a short story from him and it was good also, I am very interested in his writings so if anyone has any suggestions of some of your favorite Bradbury stories I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jesibell1991:
Do you have a favorite Bradbury story? Mine is Hail and Fairwell. I would like to hear from all of you so please answer!

Personally I like Something Wicked this Way Comes. It is a little scary a little exciting and a little bit of a drama at all times.

Posts: 19 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey grasstains, yes this is uncle, yes its been awhile. I lived in Sacramento for 7 months, close to Fulton, car capitol of the State Capital. Sorry for the misspelling, you know tomato, potato, Sacratomato, Idaho Patatoo....
Next time I am in town, we cold share a cold one, there are some good Ice Creameries,in SAC we could talk at before the stuff melts into a "Great hot mess" in our hands.
uncle ag

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle, unfortunately when I hear of Ogden I think of the IRS!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite place is Hill Airforce Base. I courier books past the South gate daily, and the Aircraft are awesome when they roar over head at under 300 feet. We also have Historic 25th street where they filmed Everwood. There are also some good local taco
stands that serve caliente salsa, that will give you a good burn. Yes the IRS is here, but Autoliv is next door, and they may have manufactured the airbag in your car. I may sound like a travel guide, but I love my new hometown. My old hometown was Lehi in Utah County, it has grown impressivly. When I grew up there in the 60/70's.
We did not even have a stop light on the main drag. Now you have major Traffic jambs heading to Eagle Mountain. Massive "Twilight Zone"....
Uncle