Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Re-Finding the Story About Going Back in Time to Poe and Melville Before They Died

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-Finding the Story About Going Back in Time to Poe and Melville Before They Died
 Login/Join

posted
My favorite, or one of the top few.
And I can't remember or find it!

The protagonist goes back in time to reassure and comfort long-dead authors just before their death, bringing along their printed books as proof that they will be remembered and loved.
Poe. Melville.

The finest sentence in it is "... fine old lions gone off their feed..."

It is never on the tiresome people's lists of their favorites, which though great are of all his stories stories we've all read the most since seventh grade.

It is like losing contact with a friend who has changed their name. Only, of course, it is my memory that changed.

Thank you.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dragonfly, nice to see you back! The story you are looking for is "Last Rites". You can find it in Ray's collection QUICKER THAN THE EYE.

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my FSM, thank you.
I've forgotten more than some people have read.
And I have company.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post