Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Is this a Ray Bradbury story?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a Ray Bradbury story?
 Login/Join

posted
You folks seem really good at these questions, so here goes.

Back when, a long time ago, I read a story while in grade school that concerned the death of an old woman or grandmother. It was written from her point of view as she drew ever closer to dying; the sense of peace and fulfillment she discovered were quite amazing.

It's probably been almost 25 years since I was in grade school, and I've always believed the author was Mr. Ray Bradbury. I've avoided looking for this story for a long time (hits very close to home, emotionally), but now I'm anxious to track it down.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the story is from Dandelion Wine...it's about the death of Great-Grandma after living a long and happy life. She urges her great grandson Douglas to live life to the fullest.

Posts: 19 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does sound like the episode from DANDELION WINE. Your question also reminded me of another Bradbury story that I read recently - "There Was an Old Woman" - about an elderly woman who outwits Death through sheer determination and force of will. It's a comic gem ("Not bad sewin', for a man ...").

[This message has been edited by crumley (edited 04-24-2002).]

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Entitled "Good-bye, Grandma" originally:
(Another masterful scene by Mr. Bradbury!)

"Now she let the old dream touch and lift her from the snow and drift her above the scarce-remembered bed. Downstairs...She could hear the living all through the house.
It's all right (she whispered) as the dream floated her."
"And the sea moved her back down the shore"

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't that better known as "The Leave-Taking", from The Stories of Ray Bradbury?

Posts: 110 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is listed in STORIES as "Taking Leave". I have a copy of it from Reader's Digest with a copyright of 1957 entitled "Good-bye, Grandma" - taken, of course, from Dandelion Wine.
Was it then collected and titled "Taking Leave"?

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post