Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
But nobody!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished Pet Sematary (Stephen King) and my third read-through of Something Wicked This Way Comes.

I just started reading Salem's Lot (Also King) and The Incredible Shrinking Man (Richard Matheson).

Next I'll read the The Martian Chronicles and Dandelion Wine, and 'Hell House' by Richard Matheson.

I never stop reading short stories at a rate of about three per week.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pet Sematary so frightened Steve as he was writing it that he filed it away in a drawer, intending never to publish it, and only did so to fulfill a publishing contract. I think it's a great book, and a very good film - Fred Gwynne is always terrific.

Something Wicked - the longest dark poem ever.

Salem's Lot is one of the best books King ever wrote. Anything Matheson writes is wonderful (except the screenplay of The Martian Chronicles).

The Martian Chronicles is my favourite book ever, and Dandelion Wine is pure beauty put down on paper.

Hell House is probably my second favourite haunted-house novel after Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House.

Good reading list there, Will!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished Taylor Caldwell's "Great Lion of God" - really good, so I've begun "I, Judas".
I also got to read (from the local library) "Somewhere A Band Is Playing" which I thought was extremely well-written, but too short!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II ~ Years ago I started to read Taylor Caldwell's 'Dear And Glorious Physician', the story about St. Luke. Alas, twas too large a book for me to tackle at that time.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today I finished reading The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch, who just passed away about a month or so ago, and found it to be a very inspiring and touching story and would recommend it to anyone with a tender heart.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
50 boxes of books were successfully packed and shipped to New Orleans, LA. My family loaded them on an 18 wheeler (destined with construction materials) at 6am a week ago.
Now this: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

A copy of "Stories of Ray Bradbury" was one of the best discoveries in the vast amount of donated texts from area schools and libraries. I packed and sent it separately to the English Dept. of the intended N.O., HS, with a special note of best wishes. We can only hope the winds blow else wheres in the next few days.

(I also included a note of this endeavor to Mr. B in a birthday card, informing him of the rescued books! The effort certainly had RB in mind.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butch! Where've you been? Schoolteacher's 3-month holiday?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Book of LISTS: Horror by Amy Wallace, Del Howison and Scott Bradley. You have to go all the way to page five to find Ray and to learn what the Five Horror Films That Most Influenced Him In His Youth are. Mr. B is listed by many other contributors as having influenced them or scared them. Such short stories as The Jar, The Veldt and Let's Play Poison are mentioned. Of course, Something Wicked This Way Comes is mentioned more than once.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Del's new book - I've heard of it. Was just reading about it yesterday.

But you're reading it, which is better yet!

Dark Del has a booth at the thingy in WeHo this weekend, but you probably already knew that.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Is it true that SpongBishopSquarePants was the actual name of the cartoon character until Bishop Spong sued Square Pants?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take this one:

I don't think so.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Oh, I get it - because Spong is like Sponge without the e. Good.

It's funny because it's true!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Dark Del has a booth at the thingy in WeHo this weekend, but you probably already knew that.

Heather Graham & Adrienne Barbeau will be there, too.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I noticed that. I'll bring my DVD of The Fog for Adrienne to sign, and my copy of Stand By Me for Will Wheaton (who will also be there).

Oh, and Robert Wagner will be there, as well. Old Jonathan Hart. He was also in The Pink Panther. I refer to the 1964 Sellers version, not the wretched remake.

"Live Forever!"