Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I finished reading Haunting of Hill House which was excellent, creepy, and very psychologically deep. Its a short book and a fast read that leaves you wondering. I started reading A Scanner Darkly by P.K. Dick. Next, may try Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams...or possibly Man In The High Castle also by P.K.D., .......

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Braling II. I can file that away under my didactic Dickens deductions.

Rocket,
“Man In The High Castle”, “Man In The High Castle”!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got about halfway through "High Castle" and just couldn't continue. Frowner

I really wanted to like it, and it took me forever and a day to find it. I don't even really remember what it was that I didn't like. I think all the characters threw me off, difficulty keeping track of em all, and limited knowledge of the historical figures--Nazi officers and other high ranking officials etc. I've never read an Alternate History novel before, except LEST DARKNESS FALL which didn't require much historical expertise, and I'm not sure I'd want to read another.

================================================

"I don't know anything."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess LEST DARKNESS FALL really isn't Alternate History. Tough call--80% Time-Travel and 20% Alternate History... or is it 90-10? Why do I feel this need to give everything a name?

"Kind and giving, all the rest is treason."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, me again. Here's something the asimovs.com gang was playing with. Our old friend douglasSp (not to be confused with Doug Spaulding) hangs out there under the handle "Darkraider".

Which science fiction author are you? I'm Hal Clement. His MISSION OF GRAVITY was a finalist but lost to F-451 as best SF novel (Hugo Award) for 1953.

=====================================
http://paulkienitz.net/skiffy.html
======================================

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grasstains,

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

posted Hide Post
quote:

What book are you reading currently?
What book did you just finish?
What book will you read next?

Foundation by Isaac Asimov
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2 by Alan Moore
Foundation and Empire by Asimov; Tales from the 1001 Arabian Nights

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains, I saw that on there and took it. I was Asimov! Smiler

you know who I wanted to be...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am pleased to be able to announce I finished reading "David Copperfield" on February 7.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club. Opinion?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'The Mars Run' by Chris Gerrib.

I had to read it because I was assigned to review it. Not bad, a little too R-rated for a sci-fi book, but not bad.
The amazing thing was that male author Gerrib manages to pull off telling the story of a female astronaut...in the first person. Tough to do.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read somewheres once that Hemmingway said in order to be a great author one should experience everything life has to offer, including homosexuality. That might come in handy in Mr. Gerrib's case.

"There's only two kinds of people in the world--those who say there's only two kinds of people in the world and those who don't."
-Ursula K. Le Guin

posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Dandy! I trust you had an enjoyable trip!
I just finished "In Cold Blood". Pretty well-written. I guess it was the first book of its kind, i.e, a non-fiction novel. Not one I'm that thrilled with, though. I enjoyed "Mockingbird" (the Harper Lee bio.) a lot more, and it was that that got me interested in reading the Capote novel...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm about to start "The lion's pride : Theodore Roosevelt and his family in peace and war" by Edward Renehan...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah. I'm also reading a Bennett Cerf collection called "The Life of The Party" !

posted Hide Post
I guess this counts as reading, since I have to edit it.
Right now I'm editing a manuscript and reviewing 300 photographs from a nice Australian couple named Bernie and Yvonne. For the last six years they have traveled around South America in their BIG sloop, interacting with the natives and many other adventures.

It was a no-brainer. We signed them to the book, published in a larger format, due to the images. So now...edit time. Cool

They titled the book: 'Up Around The Bend', but we will probably change that. I told them: 'It's a Creedence song...'

Funny thing. They saw my point right away. I guess Creedence must be big in Australia, too.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post