Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well.
I am reading "Daddy's Boy" by Chris Elliot (with rebuttals by Bob Elliot), subtitled "A Son's Shocking Account Of Life With A Famous Father". VERY funny! It does help, though, to have been a "Bob and Ray" fan!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that THE Chris Elliot from GET A LIFE and CABIN BOY?

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's him. Also was a regular on David Letterman (who does the book's intro); and he was in several other movies, including "Groundhog Day".
That's Chris Elliot - son of THE Bob Elliot!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed Chris Elliott's bizarre style of humour for years on the Letterman program, but I had enjoyed Bob & Ray for many years before that.

Funny gentlemen.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got it, Sundance, - Bob and Ray!! What classic comedy skits! Being just a few lengths of the rink from the Canadien Border, "AY!", I grew up with the wonderful announcer Ward Cornell and "Hockey Night in Canada" on Saturday nights. Back then, there were no helmets, only a few goalies wearing face masks, and the original American teams (NY, Det, Chi, Bos).

Well, on Saturday evenings (and every other evening, for that matter) only 4 channels came in on the old b&w Zenith. And that was if the "rabbit ears" were properly positioned!

Prior to tuning in the game (broadcast by CBC-tv), there was always a bit of "Bonanza" and then a variety show (I do not recall its name - on NBC?), where these two bantered and cajoled on topics too sacred to make fun of - but, of course, they did! After their act, we got to watch a period of hockey before bed.

Even as a kid, I looked forward to seeing these two get into character and crack up the audience through their marvelous use of language (never profane!!), subtle body gestures, facial expressions, and - best of all - their perfect, silent pauses that said as much, if not more, than the scripted exchanges.

Have a listen (at the bottom of this site):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_and_Ray

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Well, on Saturday evenings (and every other evening, for that matter) only 4 channels came in on the old b&w Zenith. And that was if the "rabbit ears" were properly positioned!

I remember four channels on the old black and white Zenith, but we had an outdoor aerial (we lived out in the country) which we had to step out on the back porch to turn if we wanted to pick up a channel in the other direction.

When we finally bought a colour set (with a remote control!) we thought we had arrived.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Both endings? Do tell.

The ending of this book has caused a fair amount of controversy. At the insistence of his publisher, Heinlein was forced to change his original ending to one that was far less traumatic, an 'all ends well' type ending, as this was, after all, a 'children's book'. In so doing, however, the story does not reach full closure. Heinlein's original ending is considered better, even though it probably makes the book unsuitable for very young readers.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Bumping up this thread.
Actually, besides the daily Scriptures and The Far Side Gallery II, I haven't read much since "Daddy's Boy" - a great book, by the way.
I have been listening to old "Suspense!" radio shows a lot, though. Off to play jazz now.
I shall return anon.

posted Hide Post
Oh, wow, I never knew about an alternate ending to "Podkayne." Is there a definitive edition printing both?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great question, dandy. I was wondering something like that myself, but had a hard time finding the words and spitting 'em out. My brain is gumming up on me lately.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t know if there’s a definitive version of “Podkayne” but the original ending is in “Grumbles From The Grave” by Robert A. Heinlein, Del Rey books (1990).

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, C-31, I'll check my local library.

posted Hide Post
Wow. I just listened to the radio show "Suspense!" adaptation of "The Screaming Woman" starring Margaret O'Brien! Great! It was originally broadcast on Thanksgiving Day, 1948.
There's also a version of "The Whole Town's Sleeping" (The Lonely One) called "Summer Night" with Ida Lupino, but it doesn't bear much similarity to the story. Good, though.

posted Hide Post
Or...was RB right on AGAIN!

Tym Sfari Inc.
Sfari n e yeer n the pst
yu naim the anml
we taek yu ther
yu shoot it
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/01/25/sms.novel.ap/index.html

So...
I am giving away all of my Ticonderoga pencils, black marble notebooks, and having a $1 a bag sale on all of my personal library. ("Kidding, just kidding!")
http://www.ianmack.com/pages/multimedia/media/pedestrian.htm

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Okay,you guys. Check this out. This is an AMAZING website.
Check out the OLD RADIO Programming. Wow!

http://www.calfkiller.com

OLD Radio PROGRAMMING:
http://www.calfkiller.googlepages.com/oldtimeradio

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

fjp451: What's NOT getting amazing nowadays? Everything is
getting amazing. That 'Pedestrian' link is AMAZING! Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post