Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Yep, an amazing site. Full length movie of Hopalong Cassidy, Dick Tracy. You could whistle away a few evenings on this one site.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,
What a site you have presented!!! Tons of stuff!

Take a half hour friends and be inspired. I just finished this one with my 11yr. old. Nice!
http://tv.peekvid.com/s2294/e51126/

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing what sites like this on the internet provide. Talk is that the internet will eventually replace the TV (10-13 yrs., articles say)....Likely the interent will absorb the TV like a huge absorbing thing and the TV we know of today will be a faded memory, like dial phones. Can you believe the number of old radio programs you can listen to? Yow!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skeleton Crew by Stephen King.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
....Still slogging my way through 1984. I like it very much although the character's are difficult to understand or like. They are somewhat slimy and dark minded except for their want of a different free world. Taken from the standpoint of a totalitarian futuristic society which controls every aspect of their lives and behavior helped me to appreciate them and their situation better. Some people at work love this book and some despise it for some reason that maybe I haven't reached yet. The jury is still out. So far, its a plus for me.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket, interesting to read your take on 1984. Much of it, supposedly, was inspired by what wartime and post-war Britain was actually like, with rationing and the like. Some of the bureaucracy was supposedly based on Orwell's experiences working for the BBC!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That makes sense Phil. The initial misconception of the girl and later their love affair in the midst of such a dark society was striking and right on the mark. It must have been a touch racey back when it was written. That was gutsy writing. I'm definitely into it and I think it rightfully belongs on the classics shelf. For some reason, I am reading it slowly and am having difficulty with it compared to the speed with which I have been reading lately, not that I have been racing or anything. I think for me some of the strategies of war and the doctrines and geographical descriptions of the main powers is getting tiresome. I sense that it is about to be split wide open and get really good. Someone at work let slip this morning, "wait till you get to the end."

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about the detailed political and geographical stuff. Of course, the main point of it being there is that the political alliances flip in an instant*** (The Enemy becomes The Friend We Have Always Loved) and, through the work of the Ministry of Truth, no one bats an eyelid.

And the ending... If you don't already know how it ends, you are in for a treat. Sort of.

***I was going to say "turn on a sixpence" but I realised that might be confusing to non-Brits. What would you say? "Turn on a dime"?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, "turn on a dime" is, indeed, the Yank version.

Well, folks (and folkettes) I'm now reading Dale Carnegie's "How To Win Friends And Influence People", something I've heard about for many moons but never got to. So far, so good.
Also, having just seen "Capote" and having recently read the Harper Lee bio, I may read "In Cold Blood" next.
(Always a few Bradbury stories in between, of course!)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic, I just have to comment on 1984. I'm past the draggy part of the book mentioned before and it is really taking off, it is riveting. I'm getting near the end of it. A couple pages back, I ran into a line that deserves noting.

"You will be lifted clean out from the stream of history."

Many things in this novel I found to be prophetic. When I read that line, I don't know why, but I was reminded of Kennedy's assassination. I know that the government released a lot of secret files but didn't they seal a great deal for 75 years? It's a big brotherish type thing to do I think. I'm a conspiracy believer so maybe I'm a little jaded. Another thing is all of the camera's everywhere you go. Hope we're not headed down that road... Just wanted to say, it is an awesome book, have been glued to it for my two days off! I should be able to finish it tonight.

posted Hide Post
rocket:

We long ago passed 1984 by!

2007 is far more intrusive, but it sort of just...happened! When people were given social security numbers in the beginning, the rage talk of government snooping into our private lives was on. It's almost a by-product of an advancing society, not exactly pre-meditated, but a result of the need for security. No writer in the fiction of the past of that one.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can just outright dismiss the possibility of something like this happening in the far future, it is plausible. Just saying that contrary to several people warning me of the darkness of the plot and the nonlikeable characters involved, I enjoyed the book. It did have a heck of an ending. I think what Ray said about movies and the endings applies to books as well.

posted Hide Post
I just finished a most wonderful book I received for Christmas that I would like to share with you. The novel was called "His Majesty's Dragon," and it was written by a brand new (in 2006) author named Naomi Novik. For some unknown reason I have always been fascinated by dragon stories, and this is by far the best I have ever read. It is set during the Napoleonic Wars, and the dragons, who can talk, were used in battles, with their main riders and whole crews of soldiers riding on them. The battle scenes were excellent, but the relationship between the main dragon character, Temeraire, and his rider was the really fascinating part of the book. The rider grows very attached to his dragon and even reads to him every night. I also liked the descriptions of all the different dragon breeds and how they each served different functions in the battles. (Only a very few can breath fire, but one of them spits acid.)There's so much more to it, but that's all I'll say for now. Books Two and Three are already out, and the author is working on Book Four right now. I can't wait to read more! Go Bears!!!!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper:

One word to you for the weekend. Bbbbrrrrrrrrrrr I hear it's going to be 10 below zero on Sunday.

Hey, here's an interesting Dragon game, if you haven't seen it before....(Dragon eventually shows up)

http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/g2/voyage.htm

<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>

posted Hide Post
Finished 1984 and I thought the end was intense and brilliant with the cage and the bullet etc.

I started The Haunting Of Hill House.