Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
My copy of THE NEW RAY BRADBURY REVIEW, SECOND EDITION arrived today. You'll notice that among the people invovled is our own PhilNic...

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished reading "Golden Apples of the Sun", yesterday and immediately started "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. I'm enjoying it, so far.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 25 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
My copy of THE NEW RAY BRADBURY REVIEW, SECOND EDITION arrived today. You'll notice that among the people invovled is our own PhilNic...

Yes indeed, although ironically I had more involvement with issue number 1!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

Yes indeed, although ironically I had more involvement with issue number 1!

Both editions show great attention to detail and add to our knowledge of the thought processes of the master.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just listened to "Winesburg" on tape, read by the great George Guidall.
Pretty good, and I can see some inspiration for Dandelion wine, but pretty sad. After the first few chapters, every time a character was introduced I thought, "What will be this person's hangup or dark secret?"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I just listened to "Winesburg" on tape, read by the great George Guidall.
Pretty good, and I can see some inspiration for Dandelion wine, but pretty sad. After the first few chapters, every time a character was introduced I thought, "What will be this person's hangup or dark secret?"

I know! Reading it now, and it's very down, but quite well-written. And I can so see the influence on DW, but particularly TMC.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
How, particularly, do you see the influence on Martian Chronicles; other than the strung-together-vignette structure?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Interesting.
How, particularly, do you see the influence on Martian Chronicles; other than the strung-together-vignette structure?

That's pretty much how. The way it's written is just like TMC! The style is almost identical.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His structure, yes, but his style, or what I think of as style, I find quite different from Mr. B's.
Oh, there are similarities, but Bradbury has that knack of transporting us (comparing Winesburg with DW now) by just those few perfectly chosen and arranged words...

posted Hide Post
The nice postal worker just brought me a beautiful boxed edition of "The Machineries of Joy" signed by Ray and Neil Gaiman. (#74...)

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Lucky you, JKT!

(For those of you my age, a "postal worker" is a "mailman".)

posted Hide Post
(For those of you in my country, a "postal worker" is a "postman". Or a "postie", if you want to avoid sexist nomenclature!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
....as long as one does not go "Postal!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
(For those of you in my country, a "postal worker" is a "postman". Or a "postie", if you want to avoid sexist nomenclature!)

I should have used the accepted castrated phrase "letter carrier" but it was a box the book was delivered in so postal worker seemed more approprite. I prefer to use "mailman" "postman" or "lady mailman."

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Since most of our letter carriers have been of the fairer gender, I prefer "femail".

Nomenclature is, of course, a good word.

"Live Forever!"