Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The story "Holding Up a Train" was in O'Henry's Sixes and Sevens: Authorized Edition (Doubleday, Page & Company, for Review of Reviews Co, c. 1917)
Green with gold/black title - on binding.
Two more books in the collection entitled, Rolling Stone and Options.

I also have a red collection O'Henry, leather cover with gold embossing (1918). The green books are in great shape, a bit dry, while the red are fragile at best. The words still work fine, however!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Shamrock Jolnes" from SIXES AND SEVENS is a fun story. In my collection there are four stories from SIXES AND SEVENS, unfortunately the train story isn't one.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butch, Yup, sounds like the same one. Mine says, "published by Doubleday, Page & Company for Review of Reviews Co. 1915". I found the story and hope to read it this weekend!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I read "Holding Up A Train" at lunch on Friday. Really good. He's such a good writer. In fact, after reading that, I read 3 more!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grassy, ... so I looks up this here story by O'Henrys about Shamrock Jolnes. It's a real hooter, and I mean that in a funny sort of way!

" "Oh, dot is some of your detectiveness," said Rheingelder, shaking all over with a smile. `Well, I bet you trinks and cigars all around dot you cannot tell vot I haf eaten for breakfast."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"By the gold tooth of the Witch of Endor!"
-Whatsup

posted Hide Post
Bookmark away, McDuff! http://mclibrary.nhmccd.edu/lit/ss2.html
I am sure Mr. B would not mind a momentary sidetrack of literary significance.

Simply Classic: I wonder if Old William Sidney knew these guys?
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/WWsundance.htm

posted Hide Post
After having C-31 mention O.Henry's "The Last Leaf" on the tearjerking thread I decided to break out my Big'O collection and give it a looksy. I loved it. I'm gonna start keeping a reading log and rate each story and novel I read. "The Last Leaf" gets an A+. I think those women were lesbians. Shhhhh. Back in 1903 (or whatever the year) I guess you couldn't come right out and say "lesbian" or "gay", but O.Henry made it pretty obvious in other ways.

I also read a short story called "Seed Stock" by Frank Herbert the other day and am currently about halfway through one of his novelettes entitled "Try To Remember". He's mostly known for his DUNE novels, but I must say, if these two stories are representative of his short work, he's a great storyteller as well as novelist. Funny how you never hear about his short work. "Seed Stock" gets an A.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little something different for me, The Stranger Beside Me:Ted Bundy/The Shocking Inside Story. Interesting but sad.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
O.Henry's "The Last Leaf" on the tearjerking thread I decided to break out my Big'O collection and give it a looksy. I loved it.

Great writer, otherwise a total loser. You should read about his life...sad.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading ANDROMEDA BREAKTHROUGH by Fred Hoyle. It was really, really, really good... A-, four stars, that's one short of GREAT!!!

The novel is the sequel to A FOR ANDROMEDA by the same author. It seems to be either about the nature of communication (which I read someone else point out) or a parable on the message vs. the messenger (I came up with that one, all on my own).
Great Voice: "BLESSED ARE THE MEEK, FOR THEY SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH."
Shepherd #1: "What did that man say?"
Shepherd #2: "Said he hasn't bathed in a week, needs to change his shirt."
Shepherd #3: "No, no, no. What I heard was, 'Bleeding from the cheek, try rubbing it in dirt.'
So, shepherd #2 has people not bathing while shepherd #3 has followers mutilating their cheeks and crouching face first in the dirt. Actually, it didn't happen like that at all. My brother-in-law heard the voice, and what he heard was.....

A FOR ANDROMEDA starts out almost identical to Sagan's CONTACT, in fact, I woulda sued for billions and billions. Message from outer space, scientist decipher message, message says "build this thing", spies lurking, international intrigue, blah, blah, blah--the whole shootin' match. ANDROMEDA BREAKTHROUGH was very, very, very close to Benford's TIMESCAPE, I'd have sued him too. World on the brink of destruction through some funky bacterium which is choking the ocean of nitrogen, rather than Benford's oxygen, and it was this alien intelligence which tricked humans into producing this bacterium. Good show all around. Very British.

Err, actually it was the ocean absorbing the nitrogen from the Earth's atmosphere. The scientists in turn then had to convince the Super Great Intergalactic Intellect into giving up some kind of an anti-bacterium which would release the nitrogen back into the atmosphere, all the while a power struggle over controlling access to the Super Great Intergalactic Intellect was in full swing and preventing the anti-bacterium from being distributed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grasstains,

posted Hide Post
I'm currently reading Asimov's THE REST OF THE ROBOTS. The first story "Robot AL-37 Has Gone Astray" was the funniest thing I've ever read by Asimov. Hilarious. A robot built to work on the moon somehow goes astray and ends up in Green Acres chillin with an old country bumpkin. Nothing makes sense to this poor robot who was programmed for an entirely different atmosphere and surroundings. The robot cannot understand why the sky is blue rather than black, and why the ground is green rather than a dusty gray. The physics aren't as they should be either, too much gravity. It really reminded me of something Clifford Simak would have written. Anyways, a lynch mob of the local yokles is after the robot, as well as the people from the government who are trying to reclaim their property. There's quite a showdown at the end.

posted Hide Post
What book are you reading currently?
What book did you just finish?
What book will you read next?

Well, besides, "One More For The Road," "Bradbury Speaks," and "Something Wicked This Way Comes," (By Ray Bradbury) I'm reading "The Masked Rider: Cycling in West Africa," by Neil Peart. If you don't know, Neil Peart is the drummer of the Canadian rock band: Rush, who released their first CD in 1974, and are still working on music today (to my knowledge). It's about his adventures in West Africa on a bicycle tour that he signed up for along with others. It's great to read just to get an idea of what it's like over there from a person's point of view, instead of the geography and world-books neutral information.

I just finished, "Ahmed and the Oblivion Machines," by Ray Bradbury, which only took a day, but also, "Ghost Rider," also by Neil Peart. In, "Ghost Rider," he writes about his motorcycling journey he took on his 'healing road' to recover from the loss of his daughter and his wife (which died within 11 months of eachother). It just shows the true power of mankind, to me, when people are always feeling like they want to give up because of tragic accidents or losing people. In my experiences, everybody stays depressed for a long time, naturally. Niel Peart on the otherhand doesn't. Instead he finds beauty in the nature around him and spends his time keeping his thoughts off of the loss of his wife and daughter, while venting through letters he writes to his friends, and by keeping a journal to remember the good things of each day, with the occasional days of sorrow, when he can't think of anything else.

I'm planning on reading more Ray Bradbury in the future. I just recently found out about him and I can't get enough of his stories.

---
"Go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. Build your wings on the way down" - Bradbury

Posts: 21 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished the book on Ted Bundy. Interesting in a weird way.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
October Sky, Homer Hickam. Talk about following one's dreams!!

Hey, Sundance, ol' Pard, are you wandering around these parts?