Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
You guys are tempting me, like waving a big juicy steak just out of reach of a chained dog. And I'm chomping air, tasteless air!!! Just a whiff is all I'm getting. Closer, a whiff is all I want. Lunging to catch an errant droplet of blood. You pull back. Shake the cutlet rapidly to and frow, a fake frisbee throw. Blood splatters the top of my snout and head and right between my eyes. YES!!! NO!!! My stupid tongue is too short.

... and you stand there laughing.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
You guys are tempting me, like waving a big juicy steak just out of reach of a chained dog. And I'm chomping air, tasteless air!!! Just a whiff is all I'm getting. Closer, a whiff is all I want. Lunging to catch an errant droplet of blood. You pull back. Shake the cutlet rapidly to and frow, a fake frisbee throw. Blood splatters the top of my snout and head and right between my eyes. YES!!! NO!!! My stupid tongue is too short.

... and you stand there laughing.

You've been writing again, haven't you?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grassy: I could not help but call up the below site after reading your carnivore's manifesto. The location is actually from within the earlier "Beelzy" attached I made (in this string).

Ironically, your images sent me rummaging through what is left of my brain, after two weeks' straight of midnights-plus and multi-scheduled events in 24 hr. days that are about 4 hours-short-of-adequate. I remembered reading several. What do you think?

http://www.llywelyn.net/docs/quotes/animals.html

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, eating meat keeps you smart. The vegetarian diet lacks some kind of protien or something which the brain needs for maximum performance, at least that's what I've heard. But judging by those quotes, well... there's some purdy fart smellers, err smart fellers there. Probably just a rumor started by the Beef Industry, you know, the same people responsible for destroying K.D. Lang's career and Iraq. Personally, I've always seen myself as a vegetarian and a nonsmoker. Now that I've quit smoking maybe I'll give up meat as an encore.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can appreciate these views, having once been a very strict vegetarian for about a decade. Now I suppose I have the best of both worlds, as it were; as we Orthodox, (if we really follow the Church Calendar) are vegans for half of every year.
Of course, as a Scandihoovian too, this is the time of year for pickled herring and lutefisk!

By the way, for what it's worth, I recall a James Harriot (world's most famous veterinarian) story in which Siegfried offers an encomium to the Proper English Breakfast; and another in which he waxes eloquent over roast beef! Of course, the farther north you go, the more you find meat and dairy-based diets.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, good friends of Christmas cheer I finished reading LOTF(laugh out too loud??) early this morn/late last night. Truly a masterpiece! Made me want to turn back to page one in an attempt to fathom the many layers of symbolism embedded in the deep waters of its pages. On to the next book appropriately titled A Christmas Carol. I just started it. Inneresting side note is that as I was reading the introduction, it was referring to Pickwick Papers and I quote, "Mr. Pickwick, the chubby and bespectacled Quixote, and his cockney Sancho Panza, Sam Weller, celebrate coaching inns and bachelorhood and Dicken's general sentimental affection for the recent English past." Is Sam Weller an actual character in a book by one of Ray's favorite authors?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robomurmurshiftersoundster,
Many moons ago, when I first read on this board of Sam Weller, Ray's biographer, I mentioned the Dickens character. Anyway, he's one I hope you'll get to know; humourous and lovable.
I'll dig out "Carol" and read it again soon...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That to me is irony of the Dickensonian kind! Thanks, B-Two. I will read that someday as I have it. Take care.Smiler

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it!
This one's pretty good too:
www.lulliloodesign.com/figaro_tunes.htm

posted Hide Post
Braling II:

woW! THAT's REALLY a GOOD ONE!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished reading Big Fish by Daniel Wallace. VERY different from the movie, both are good. I'm eager to read some of his other work.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finished reading Christmas Carol and it was marvelous! Last night we watched the dvd version with George C. Scott. It warmed our hearts to Christmas cheer after spooking us out a little.

Then at work today I was able to buy a copy of Martian Chronicles, The Play 1986 that came in on a buy, my price $1.98, yes!!!

I started reading William Gibson's Mona Lisa Overdrive last night.

posted Hide Post
Greg,Greg, I am trying very hard to keep up with your monikers. Will you be stopping soon? I hope because all that I have to know that it is you is your email address at the bottom of the post. Thanks Heavens! What was wrong with Robot Lincoln?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the robot! Is he having an identity crisis?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post