Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Welcome back!

I'm just starting The Illustrated Man by...well, you know.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Long Walk" is an excellent book which my sixth grade teacher read to her class every year. Always controversial, it is now being outright challenged as not factual. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6098218.stm

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently Reading: The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

Just Finished: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (slow read), and Survivor: The Ultimate Game (for research). I read multiple books at a time, usually a fiction and a non-fiction.

Reading Next: The rest of the books by Jane Austen, then Memoir of Jane Austen by James Edward Austen-Leigh. I've never been able to slog through her prose before, so I'm doing it while I can. Then I'm off to read the rest of H.G. Wells's work.

- - - - -

Remember, Remember, the Month of November / Dialogue, Setting, and Plot / I'm hearing wishes that laundry and dishes / Wouldn't just sit there, forgot.

Posts: 11 | Location: South Orange County, CA, U.S. | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if "The Long Walk" isn't factual, then that makes the writing of it that much more impressive! I tend to believe it, though, as there are many similar seeminingly incredible stories of the triumph of the Human Will; whether endurances and/or escapes from the Gulag, or Holocaust survival stories. My English mum-in-law just told me about 2 Jewish friends of hers and their incredible WWII stories, nearly as incredible as "The Long Walk".
Of course, now it could be said that the Zeitgeist includes at least a minimization of the triumphs, struggles, morals, and certainly the 'awareness' of our forebears.
Anyway, I will always highly recommend reading the book.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martian Chronicles, 40th Anniversary Special Edition, which in a few short years will be the 60th Anniversary Edition! Seems like only yesterday...

Now we know where rocket gets the signature quote;

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently, I am reading Wind, Sand and stars, By Antoine de Saint-Exupéry again.

Coincidently, does anyone have any idea where I can find the english version of "Night Flight by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry? I'd be interested in knowing.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildGravity:
...does anyone have any idea where I can find the english version of "Night Flight by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry?

Cheap one here.

Regular priced one here.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Borders here has it. Perhaps your local (if there is one) has it or can order it. It's in print. Bon chance!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here, here greenray. Yes, Martian Chronicles is one of my favorite all time books hence the mysterious sadly beautiful quote from it. One copy that I have from Doubleday 2001, changed all of the dates in the chapter page to update it. I was put off by that, those dates are just as much a part of the context of the stories as anything else woven out of Ray's mind then. You just don't fool with perfection.

Finished Written On The Body, was excellent and even had a happy ending. I'm starting A Home At The End Of The World by Michael Cunningham.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though I'm halfway through "Christianity On Trial", I couldn't resist starting "The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson. So far, it's really a kick!

posted Hide Post
Have you read A Short History Of Nearly Everything by him? I haven't yet but it comes highly recommended at work.

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocky, I finished "Thunderbolt". Really good. Lots of laugh-out-loud moments. Perfect for anyone who grew up in the '50s. I got the Recorded Books version, read by Bryson himself! There's an interview of him at the end in which he says "Short History" took much time to write and was not so humourous; so that he felt like writing something lighter, hence the "Thunderbolt Kid", which is really his autobiography with some embellishments, of course. Anyway, I may get to the other book eventually.

Still reading "Christianity On Trial" and starting Jeffry Deaver's new 'Lincoln Rhyme' novel...

posted Hide Post
Thanks B-Two & welcome back. I'll have to check them both out. I heard Deaver is good too, enjoy!

posted Hide Post
>Tom Robbins, Another Roadside Attraction

posted Hide Post
Trying my hand (again) at reading Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post