Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I received Marionettes Inc. today. Needless to say, I'll be reading it this evening.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder from where you might have received it. Smiler

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I received Marionettes Inc. today. Needless to say, I'll be reading it this evening.

jkt, could you please report back to tell us how much new material is in the book? I'm expecting one new story and several re-prints. Is that right? Any essays, introductions, forewords or afterwords?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
jkt, could you please report back to tell us how much new material is in the book? I'm expecting one new story and several re-prints. Is that right? Any essays, introductions, forewords or afterwords?

Philnic: Turned out that she-who-must-be-obeyed wanted to go out to dinner instead of letting me read while she watched Prancing with the Stars. I hope to get to it this evening.

At 128 pages it is a thin edition but with very nicely production values.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...she-who-must-be-obeyed wanted to go out to dinner instead of letting me read...

Do both! Fork in one hand, book in t'other. (Remembering to nod and say, "Yes, dear" periodically.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
(Remembering to nod and say, "Yes, dear" periodically.)

That gets me in even more trouble...

Wind-Up World is only four pages but apparently has never been published before. Murder by Facsimile is not really a short story but screen treatment, something a wrtier would type-up to present to a potential producer. Still an enoyable read since it presents another aspect of Ray's multitude of talents.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
T'other is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wind-Up World is only four pages but apparently has never been published before. Murder by Facsimile is not really a short story but screen treatment, something a wrtier would type-up to present to a potential producer.

Sounds just up my alley (as we say round these parts). I feel a purchase coming on.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Brain Lumley is a good word.

Brian's smarter brother, I believe.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Another of my favorite threads- Haven't been here in a very long time.
Just finished "The Protector's War" by S.M. Stirling, one book in an excellent 'alternate history' series.
Also "A Fistful of Sky" by Nina Kiriki Hoffman- very Bradburyesque- also excellent.

Posts: 28 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my copy of "Marionettes, Inc." from Amazon. I don't remember the price, but it was not expensive at all. Harcover, Subterranean Press, 2009. Includes:

I Sing the Body Electric
Marionettes, Inc.
Changeling
Punishment Without Crime
Wind-Up World
Murder by Facsimile (Outline for screenplay, would love to see Ray go back to this as a new story)

Quality is good.

I would defintely recommend it for an addition to your Bradbury collection.

By the way, I love the "She-who-must-be-obeyed". Fantastic, that one! I may begin to use it myself as my wife's kids (and I and my kids) are huge Harry Potter fans.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, currently reading "Martian Chronicles", "The Federalist Papers", "The Brambling Bush" and texts, cases, and statutes for law classes.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
By the way, I love the "She-who-must-be-obeyed". Fantastic, that one! I may begin to use it myself as my wife's kids (and I and my kids) are huge Harry Potter fans.

As am I, but I think jkt got it from Rumpole, if I am not mistaken.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
In-N-Out Burger: A behind the counter look at the fast food chain that breaks all the Rules by Stacy Perman.
(This is where my father took my mother on their first date...yet she still married him.)

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

As am I, but I think jkt got it from Rumpole, if I am not mistaken.

Very Close but one generation removed: She: A History of Adventure is a novel by H. Rider Haggard, first serialized in 'The Graphic' from October 1886 to January 1887. The title is short for "She Who Must Be Obeyed", a translation of the Arabic honorific used for Ayesha by the Amahagger, a tribe whom she has enslaved. In childhood, Haggard's nursemaid used to menace him with an ugly doll which went by the name "she who must be obeyed". (The phrase acquired additional significance in British popular culture as the name by which John Mortimer's character Horace Rumpole refers to his wife.)

John King Tarpinian