Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Howdy, Butch.
Yeah, I was back in NEPA (North Eastern Pennsylvania) visiting the grandkids (and their parents) for Thanksgiving.
I've missed this board!
I've been reading "Inspector Morse" mysteries, Poe, and "I Sing The Body Electric!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PA is a long way from the TX/Mex border! You still want a copy of those L & H cd's? My son (10yrs) figured out the burning methods for me. Kids!
f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading 'Again, Dangerous Visions' edited by Harlan Ellison. Some stories are good, others I skipped. More good than bad, however.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been piddling my way through DANGEROUS VISIONS, reading a story here and a story there every few days for a couple weeks now. I hate the Philip Jose Farmer story ("Purple Wage") because it's just way too enamored with itself. It seems to scream out "Look at me!!! Aren't I cute? Bold? Daring? Edgy? Woohoo, New Wave ROCKS!!!" It's all style and no substance. I hate stories like that. The two Jack-The-Ripper tales are really annoying too. But, Spinrad's "Carcinoma Angels" is one of my All-Time faves. Yeah, I know... I have weird taste.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
PA is a long way from the TX/Mex border! You still want a copy of those L & H cd's? My son (10yrs) figured out the burning methods for me. Kids!
f

Yes, please! How we do this, Kemosabe?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if'n I had a stealthy address to which the aforementioned might be forwarded, I'd be glad to get my young bud on cookin' up a couple of fresh discs for you.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a way, using one's profile settings perhaps, to permit certain members access to email addresses and such? I'd just post it here, but I do try to maintain some cyber-anonymity...

posted Hide Post
Right you are! Ditto. Those old handbills on the saloon walls always told too much. Are you in touch with anyone here already via E-mail. I've been in touch with Dandelion, Doug Spaulding, Biplane, and Nard. So, an exchange via a common reliable member of the board would be an option. Or smoke signals!

posted Hide Post
I'm in e-mail contact with both Dandy and the planester...

posted Hide Post
I'll contact our FLA friend and get things rolling. "What a fine mess..."

posted Hide Post
To quote the Stooges, "Success!!!"

posted Hide Post
Back to What Am I reading:

I just received my copy of The Wish, printed by Hill House, and I found it to be a very well done edition of a story that Ray wrote in 1973 for Woman's Day magazine. Ray added a post script to the Hill House book that tells why he wrote the story, dated February, 2006. The volume is dedicated to Leonard Spaulding Bradbury and a picture of his Father, is nicely included in the book.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd just post it here, but I do try to maintain some cyber-anonymity...

Establish a new email box to use for public com on the internet...and expect occasional spam along with the good messages. Eventually, your spam filter will weed a lot of them out, hopefully. I call it my 'junk box,' but it is good to have one.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost finished with Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Someone at worked recommended it to me and it is sublimely strange. She has some mindblowing metaphors and a great way with language. Its about a travelling carnival family. It is way out there but I am loving it. Next up is Lord of the Flies, never read it. Then I'd love to squeeze a Christmas Carol in there but not sure if its feasable before Christmas although I'm sure it can be read anytime. The Stones of Summer is on the burner simmering up to the top soon as well...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robomurmurshifter! Missed you for awhile there!
I've been reading Poe again. Just finished "Murders In The Rue Morgue" and several stories and poems before that. Wow. I forgot what a great writer he was. "Murders...", you may know, is considered the prototype Detective Story.
I read "A Christmas Carol" every year about this time, or at least watch the 1951 Sim movie and listen to the Welles radio version.
I think this came up earlier?
Anyway, I hope we both read it so we can compare notes.