Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I realized I've been remiss here. Just finished "Plato And A Platypus Walk Into A Bar", which was entertaining and informative.+

Now reading "The Egg And I", which I've known about since childhood, and of course I've seen the movie and the "Ma & Pa Kettle" spin-offs. Betty MacDonald lived near my mom on the Olympic Peninsula and was something of a "local girl makes good". I'm really enjoying her style and sense of humour.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:

Now reading "The Egg And I", which I've known about since childhood, and of course I've seen the movie and the "Ma & Pa Kettle" spin-offs.

One of my favourite novels. I first read it in high school. Have much enjoyed the film and the Kettle films - funny!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXtCVaC9ns&feature=related
New Math!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i am legend by richard matheson

next possibly nightwatch by sergei lukyaneko

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Rocky!
I'm nearly done with an audio book of "Sweet Revenge", Diane Mott Davidson's latest.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello B-Two, how are you doing?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty well, thanks - I've just enough work to pay the bills. Are you still at the book/record store? Unless you've been observing without contributing, you've a lot of catching up to do here!

posted Hide Post
I am still at Half Price Books and I love it. I was just promoted, surprisingly to me, to assistant manager. yay! I went through a rocky (no pun intended) spring but have continued to check in periodically.

posted Hide Post
For the drive from Los Angeles to Flagstaff I picked up a CD book of Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. My baby selected Economics as her major so this should give her a head start. Smiler

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes you want to read the book!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBM854BTGL0&NR=1

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Eight million hits. We got to get ourselves a kid!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, it's not too late!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading!? Currently - the f & b covers and inner sleeves of about 2500-3000 books, anything from curriculum texts to literature anthologies to best sellers to world famous authors and philosophers. 'Tis a project initiated by Mrs. fjp451 that has landed in our garage. Whew!

The idea came about after a discussion with a (directly involved) Southern teacher. We have gathered them and now proceed to identify by grade levels (Elem-MS-HS or Library), box, tape securely, address, and organize for pick up from our home. Six school systems offered texts. Many were headed for the nether lands, but in good to fine shape. What better thing than to save books on our little planet and send them where they will be truly appreciated: a school system in New Orleans that had lost "everything" due to Katrina. The shipping will occur, hopefully, via an American Red Cross contact I have established.

So, yesterday as I was handling and scanning each book, what showed up!? The classic, Stories of Ray Bradbury. I grabbed a piece of paper and boldly wrote "This is a Great Collection of Stories by America's Greatest Author!" "ENJOY!" and placed the note within the jacket. (I have taken a picture of the note and book and will forward to him with an explanatory note for his 8/22 celebrations.) But, that is not the end of the irony...

I went into the house at lunch time and found our two young sons watching a movie with their 86 yr. young grandmother: The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit! She thought it was "wonderful." Hold on, one more...

The mailman arrived and a package awaited (anticipated anxiously - I might add). Mr. Bradbury had signed and returned the first RB I had ever read: Golden Apples of the Sun, along with my most recent read, Farewell Summer (both hc's). Wait! And then...

After further review of said package, "What's this?" a copy of Now and Forever, Somewhere a Band is Playing and Leviathan 99. A completely unexpected gift!

My mother began reading it, and now Mr. B has an octogenerian - with a birth date just a year and a few days different from his - to add to his fan base.

I started Now and Forever last night. It is like a jaunt back in time to read his images and to allow them to carry you off. I turned pages until about 1 a.m., when my eyes slammed shut and sleep won out.

"Greetings Summer!"

Now, if you will excuse me, I must return to the garage...

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Butch!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Doug, it's not too late!

No, I don't mean that way!

Don't rush me.

"Live Forever!"