Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Lookin' good, Butch...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Collected essays of Sigmund Freud. Quite a lot of material there.

For anyone that doesn't know, Sigmund Freud's works are now in the public domain as of earlier this month. I am not sure whether to be happy or sad about this matter. Hmm...

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An original script from Moby Dick. Not the book but a nice yellow and tattered original script.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
An original script from Moby Dick. Not the book but a nice yellow and tattered original script.

Been poking around in the basement again?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

Been poking around in the basement again?

Spent the weekend at the Los Angeles Antiquarian Book Fair. I also have sitting on my desk an original of The Shunned House by H.P. Lovecraft. His first published work from 1928.

What was both sad but cool were two letters from F. Scott Fitzgerald to his landlord, Edward Everatt Horton, asking for a reduction in rent for Nov. and Dec. 1939. The house was a cottage in Encino, CA. That cottage may rent for $3,000 a month today.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here image of the "book" which was published loose leave, unbound.

John King Tarpinian

ImageShunnedHouse02.jpg (226 Kb, 4 downloads)

posted Hide Post
quote:
What was both sad but cool were two letters from F. Scott Fitzgerald to his landlord, Edward Everett Horton...

Loved him in Fractured Fairy Tales.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cell, by Steve King.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Steve" now, is it? Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find any of my copies of "Martian Chronicles" and came across "Death Is A Lonely Business" and am enjoying that a lot!
Great characters that I wish showed up later in more novels.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and came across "Death Is A Lonely Business" and am enjoying that a lot!...

That and "The Illustrated Man" are my top favorites. Truly two of Mr. Bradbury's great masterpieces, Yet "Death Is A Lonely Business" gets overlooked by the masses as "just another dime detective novel".

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
"Steve" now, is it? Big Grin

Ever since I produced that Stephen King short film, yes! Have been in contact with him thru email a time or two. Fairly reclusive fellow, is Steve.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury's humor comes through magnificently in "Death Is A Lonely Business," "Graveyard For Lunatics," and "Let's All Kill Constance." His metaphors and ironies also bounce off the pages with lively vibrance, requiring the reader to pause for a re-read if merely to enjoy the techniques before continuing on.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Mr. Bradbury's humor comes through magnificently in "Death Is A Lonely Business," "Graveyard For Lunatics," and "Let's All Kill Constance." His metaphors and ironies also bounce off the pages with lively vibrance, requiring the reader to pause for a re-read if merely to enjoy the techniques before continuing on.

Bingo! Exactly what I meant to say. Big Grin

"Oh, death!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
His metaphors and ironies also bounce off the pages with lively vibrance, requiring the reader to pause for a re-read if merely to enjoy the techniques before continuing on.

That's why it takes me so long to get thru a Bradbury - I practically re-read everything! Wow, I stop and say to myself. I wish we mortals could write like that!

"Live Forever!"