Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The Benny book is quite enjoyable. Turns out it's mostly Jacks autobiography (never finished) along with his (adopted) daughter Joan's reminiscences; as well as those of many others who knew him, some quite famous. I really loved both the radio and TV shows and there are lots of amusing stories about those.

I decided to re-read "The Romanovs-The Final Chapter" by Robert K. Massie too.

And I'm thinking about reading "The Iceman" by Philip Carlo.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
The Benny book is quite enjoyable.
snip

I was lucky enough to have been with Mr. B, last Tuesday. While driving past the music hall, in downtown Los Angeles, he talked about his having done fundraising with Jack Benny. They were billed as "The Boys from Waukegan."

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Well!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something Wicked This Way Comes, as a matter of fact.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snip is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mondegreen
You must know that mondegreen is a better word. No?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, Nard what a great word! And one I actually didn't know!
Lots of mondegreens in pop music; one of the most well-known is from Hendrix' "Purple Haze".
Know that one?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hSW67ySCio

BRALING II

Strange. I was just listening to JIMI HENDRIX on YOUTUBE yesterday afternoon. Like this one noted above. I just happened to hear about the mondegreens with the Haze lyrics.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading 'The Postman' by David Brin (which grasstains so kindly sent me!) and liked it very much. It was better even than the movie...
Some friends gave me books as an early birthday gift, so now I'm reading 'There Is A River: The Story of Edgar Cayce,' by Thomas Sugrue. Great book so far!

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves", by P.G. Wodehouse, of course. A good antidote for the poisoning to which I subjected myself in reading "The Iceman". Good book, but very dark and disturbing. I wish more of these guys watched "Mister Rogers" growing up.
Now reading "The Island of the Colorblind" by Oliver Sacks (author of "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat").
Nearly done with the Benny Book.
All this, mind you, while working 2 jobs (one part time), playing occasional jazz gigs, getting the house ready for Winter, and practicing for the Christmas concert!

posted Hide Post
I went to a book signing last night; "This Is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel J. Levitin. Great talk before the signing, and he even read a bit from his forthcoming book. I thought it coincidental that his book and Oliver Sacks' new one "Musicophilia" should be coming out concurrently, and dealing with similar subjects. Turns out they're friends, worked a bit with each other, and will even be attending signings together.

If you're interested, here's a bit about each book:

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780525949695,00.html

http://www.oliversacks.com/musicophilia.htm

posted Hide Post
Last years Halloween season read was Dracula, this year it is Something Wicked This Way Comes. I just started it today because I have been so busy.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W. C. Fields: A Biography, by James Curtis.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Just finishing SWTWC. What a great read. Mesmerizing, actually. I have been turning the pages late at night. Haunting passages.

Chapter 31 is a classic!! ***HEY, "Chap" thus the moniker???

Also, Shelley's Frankenstein, Lee's Mockingbird, and getting ready for Mr. B's F451.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewhere a Band is Playing! The Gauntlett Press edition, with lots of fragments of screenplays and early draughts.

If I didn't already have a screen name, I might have chosen Claude, after the horse who knows his way around town without needing to be led.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post